Friday, May 13, 2005

Grover learns a lesson

So last night I went to Avalanche to meet Angela and hear that amazing singer again. I arrive about a half hour early and start getting a little liquid courage in my system. The male half of last week's couple is there, and the lady who was calling me cute comes in shortly after. Ok, so it turns out I do get beer goggles just a little. She isn't much to look at, but he's still very handsome. I wonder if they recognize me as the drunk weird guy from last thursday.

Angela arrives as I am a little less than halfway through the pitcher, so I ask for another mug and we grab a table. I expected to be all nervous and get bats in my stomach, but more than anything it was just cool to sit back and chill. I'm not going to go into much personal detail, but here's the key points:

Rico Grover Suave here has been thinking all week about how to bring up the ultimate bean-spilling. I was gonna be all, "Oh, there's this girl from work...conflicted...really like her...should I tell her...", and when she says that I should, I was going to say "Well, it's you." And she'd be taken by such surprise that she would swoon into my arms and everybody would ride off into the sunset and be happy for ever after.

But no. No, I just blurt it out like a dumbass. I spend the evening trying my damnedest to be subtle, but only keep popping off several years' worth of pent-up confessions, usually followed with "Oh, shit, I can't believe I just said that."

And she neither swooned nor bolted. As usually happens, instead of the two reactions I was expecting, life served me a third new, unforseen, and wholly appropriate outcome. We became much better friends.

Wise beyond her years, Angela is. Five years my junior, yet decades beyond in understanding and maturity. Some day, well on down the road, I hope to embody just a fraction of the smarts this girl exhibits. I learned from her.

I tell her that we would make a good team. Couple scares me, and she doesn't want that anyway. But I say that as a team, we could be a force of nature. She agrees.

I can't always get what I want, but in trying last night I found I got exactly what I needed. A closer friend.

5 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

In an even greater leap of faith, I gave her the blog address.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Not sure "leap of faith" is the phrase I'd use for that.... :|

I do admire your bravery though..

I think it's bravery... ;)

This swooned thing is new to me, you should elaborate further - the bolted I'm aware of. LOL

Wisdom isn't directly related to years, tragically. I swear I get less wise as the years roll by, no doubt desperation chips away at it.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

Grover the Mac of us all...

11:31 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Me? Nah. Just a goof without a clue as to how to properly interact with people.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to just tell her that you are into her. I found out by embaressing myself (we are not going into how....lol guess)that my boyfriend was in love with me. We are now happy. Perhaps it helps not to make elaborate stories just....say it get it out there in the open.
DJsSunshine

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home