Friday, May 06, 2005

Life is suddenly getting very interesting

Interesting night last night. I live within walking distance of the Avalance Lounge inside the Best Western. Bored out of my gourd and armed with a few spare dollars, I decide to walk over and see what's what.

Beer is $4 for a pitcher. I've never tried to drink an entire pitcher before. I figure there's no greater time than now to try. There is a band of sorts playing, and the girl singing is melting me into puddle. Pleasingly curvy with a neo-hippie appeal and ear to ear smile. She sings everything from Janis Joplin to Norah Jones to Evanescence, equally deft at belting out gravelly blues or tearing my heart out of my chest at a near whisper. Between sets, I ask her to sing something a cappella. She gives me a weird look and says that nobody's ever asked that of her before. With enough liquid courage in my system, I tell her that I'm falling in love with her voice. She seems genuinely flattered.

The set passes, the show ends, and no solo. En route to the loo, though, she catches me and says she wants to give me an a cappella song. So there, in the middle of the lounge floor, juke box blaring in the background in an entirely different key, she starts singing Henry Mancini's Romeo and Juliet love theme.

And there we stood, I Beren, and she Luthien Tinuviel.

I forget what I said after she finished, it was probably just more gushing babble... I was starstruck. She she goes back to her people and I to the bathroom.

---

Flashforward to working on pitcher #2. I have struck up a conversation with the lady standing by me who is dancing in place to the jukebox. I ask her to dance, and she accepts. "We've Got Tonight" comes on. It feels both sweet and slightly mischevious to have a promiscuous slow dance.

But this is where things get weird.

She's there with a friend and her friend's boyfriend. We're all talking, and when intoxicated, I hold absolutely no secrets in. My bisexuality is somehow brought up. Her (very drunk) friend starts telling me that I'm cute, and urging her boyfriend to take me home with them. He says he's not in the mood for a guy tonight, and then she starts getting all pissy with him telling him "Oh, suuuuure, but it's ok that we have threesomes with other women!"

Dude. At this point I really haven't said anything about being willing or not. She just assumes I'm up for it. So I'm kinda standing there not saying much, totally confused and trying to make sense of what the hell is going on.

The bar closes and I stumble the 1/2 mile or so back home, utterly puzzled by what just happened.

8 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

Well puzzled is not what I would be. Scared quite possibly.

When someone suggests anything like that to me I get leg cramp, don't know why, autonomic reaction. LOL

That singer sounds amazing, nothing more enchanting than a wonderful girl singing for you. My ex was a singer, mesmerising.

I like the "---", said a lot.

You should take some caution though, throwing all of it to the wind can land you in hot water.

NB. $4 a pitcher!!!!! Beer is £2.50-£3 a pint here! (That's about $5-6.)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

I understand completely, thank you for your advice. But really, I wasn't even participating in the conversation. I was just standing there watching two people arguing over me.

It did wonders for me ego, though. :-)

First off, I don't get "beer goggles". No matter how drunk I am, people really don't seem more or less attractive than they did while I was sober. I wouldn't've done it anyway, I had to get up at 7am for work, and it was already nearly 3am, and I was feeling queasy. God bless the handful of Tums I forced down before going to bed. Really kept me from feeling too sick in the morning.

Have you ever tried to chew antacids with a serious case of cotton mouth? Not fun.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Grover said...

Oh, Orb, about beer prices. British/Irish beer is just about that same price here. I was drinking Bud Light, though, and that stuff is one step above piss water. If I want a good pint, I'll go to O'Brians and have a Guiness or Harp. :-)

Bud Light is more akin to medicine... evil but necessary.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Well a lot of people drink Bud Light here too, but that's around $3-4 a bottle - so not a particularly cheap option. Nothing is though, alcohol is reasonably pricey as it's taxed quite a bit.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

Give me a cold Bud Light or Amstel Light anytime. In high school we used to drink the really cheap stuff like Natural Light (Natty Light).
Do you guys have an Old Chicago up there? They've got this neato beer drinking challenge called the World Beer Tour. you have to drink 110 different varieties of beer and you get your name on a plaque. Yay. You don't have to drink them all in one sitting, they keep track on a card they scan. It's a fun way to try new tastes and a great place to strike up a conversation.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

Oh and btw, you're only young once. If you're in the mood for some casual sex...I say go for it. JUST BE RESPONSIBLE! Use protection and good judgement.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Grover said...

Old Chicago? Can't say as I've ever heard of the place. Sounds fantastic, though!

In the mood for? I'm dying for it. I just want to be on my own in my own place. And you make it sound so easy, like going to the store for a gallon of milk or something. :-)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Don't think my stores sell milk in gallons...

Though I'm sure I could pursuade them to start doing so easier than the other...

Now where's wal-mart's phone number....

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home