Monday, September 05, 2005

I am now officially a prejudicial jerk-off redneck American. We were just at the airport, and walking back to the car I hear what sounds like the Arabic calls to prayer like on TV. I look over and see a guy in a car with the windows down who looks exactly like Bin Laden, except that I'm guessing he's about our age. He glances over at me with a nervous look.

All I can think of is "Fuck, we gotta get out of here." It was almost a very mild touch of panic. I drove away a bit quicker than normal.

I mean, come on! The guy was probably just trying to get an evening prayer in (like they do. I respect that.), and got nervous thinking some gorilla-sized white guy was going to beat him up for being middle eastern. I feel like such an asshole.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typical American

2:25 AM  
Blogger Grover said...

Yeah, but at least I can admit my faults and try to rise above.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

You sure it was prayer, and not music? Could be prayer.

He could've been going anywhere... not sure why you thought a prayer meeting.

It's always shocking for a multicultural city dweller to see the reaction of those in less mixed parts to absolutely daily things. :S

There was a load of research on London's multiculturalism released Wednesday. Apparently 25% of London's population are non-British born, 7.5% of Britain as a whole - that's just born abroad, not of different ethnicity, which is a good deal higher.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/overview.stm

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home