Monday, January 23, 2006

A brand new page...

So after dabbling with basic lighting and posting the results, I wrote a comment about nude photography and my pathetically bad attempts, and of the possibility that I may yet turn out a few good ones. I started thinking...

hmm...

Ok, how can I emulate Man Ray a little?...

1) backlight it
2) use unusual angle
3) stark setting
4) keep it borderline abstract

And wouldn't you know, I went downstairs and moved the coffee table out of the way. At one end of the living room I put the tripod up so high I had to stand on a chair to use the camera, and then pointed it down at the floor, zooming back just so only the geometrically patterned carpet is visible. I set the light on the other end of the room about belly-height (because I wanted more shadow than hightlight) and aimed it at the empty spot. I stripped off the pj's, set the camera timer, and fired away...

A little photoshopping later, and I had produced several startlingly good images, which I will not force-feed you here, but will provide this link to, and welcome you view them if you wish and give me an honest critique.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like submissive 2, and the only word i can think for it is artsy :)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Grover said...

Thank you! That's definitely the effect I was going for, so mission accomplished! :-) It felt purgative... like it was something I had to get out of my system, because I felt this massive sense of relief after shooting those.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home