Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ok, so I've allowed myself to be back on "the market" after my voluntary and premature withdrawal. Got a little overexcited, that's all. Taken a few weeks to process and make sense of all this new experience. Strangely, I'm more attracted to Dark Haired Girl than ever before, now that I've dropped the intense feeling of needing to be with her. I feel more balanced, centered, inwardly calm, and self-assured than I have in a very long time.

Which is good for making burritos.

I was in "the zone" last night at work. I was like the Dalai Burrito Lama, rolling out foil-wrapped works of art with a zen-like serenity. It was a beautiful moment.

---

I love working with Mexicans. They're just the smiliest most laid-back happy people you'll ever meet. And they take the language barrier in such stride...

Fabiola is learning English in leaps and bounds, and can pretty much hold a decent conversation. Her accent is so thick, though, that when she asks a customer whether they want mild, corn, medium, or hot salsa, it comes out like "You like mile-co-median-o-ha salsa?" I'm learning the vast majority of my Spanish from her, and it's funny, because I'm learning it in her accent. So when we got a new guy and I introduced myself, I pronounced my name like she does... "Mi nombre es ahn-DEE".

Her sister Nallely has a crush on me. I have a crush on Fabiola. She is happily married. C'est la vie. (Es la vida?)

Then there's Bart. I swear the guy understands more than he can speak, but he's just the biggest smartass. I can't wait until he learns more, because he's going to be a total riot. He always keeps the other spanish speakers laughing their butts off, I can only wonder what he's saying.

In Spanish, there's only a subtle difference in one vowel sound between saying "I'm hungry", and "I have a man." Bart was cutting up some chicken, and I patted my stomach and said "Yo tengo hambre!" He gets that patent grin and says "tengo hombre?"

Me: No, no, no... tengo HAMBRE.

Bart: "hombre?"

Me: HAMBRE! (I make a putting-food-in-mouth gesture)

Bart: Si, si, si... hombre. (he makes blowjob gesture)

Me: Dammit Bart! (we're both laughing) You know what I mean!

A minute later I hear him talking to Thomas and I hear the world "hombre". I whip around with a big grin and say "Don't you be making fun of me back there, motherfucker!" They both start laughing.

Good times.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

Are you sure you didn't say "Hombre"? LOL.
Sounds like a fun place to work.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Those sound like some great folks to work with. And lost in translation is always fun.
I've worked with lots of Chinese people over the years and we have some interesting conversations. My favourite was my coworker getting all frustrated trying to ask me about a "sar stam program". I finally cottoned on that he was talking about a "programmable thermostat".

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home