Tuesday, August 15, 2006

So there's a student at school whose photography I'm a huge fan of. Here's a link to his slide show. (The one of the guy licking the knife, that's him)

His name is Jeremy Brotherton, and he's known as the guy who takes the weird fetish-y pictures. I talk to him every now and again (he's kinda weird, but very friendly), and told him just today that I was showing his gallery off to a goth friend. He said that the photos they chose for this all came from Camera Skills (which is the first class you take, remember my "sorrow" photos from january and february?) or even earlier.

I mention this, because he's already been featured in several magazines. He thinks outside of the box in ways you hardly see there at school. I feel like he's leaps and bounds ahead of the other students, myself included, and I realized it's because he has a genre... a purpose, whereas I (and all the others) take pictures within the box of what's expected and usual. When photos go up on the wall, you instantly know which ones are his. You can't pick mine out.

I need a style. I need a purpose to my photography. But then I wonder if his style could be a restriction, and maybe I'm the free one. I'll have to ask him about that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to find your subject matter first and then find a style but thats just my opinion. One of these days I'll actually buy a good camera, take a class or two, find my niche and my style, and get something published or sold. Until then, I'll continue to do my thing.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I was looking to see what would pop up if I did a Google search of my name and I found this posting from you. And first I wish to say thank you. :) This made my day :) Now as for the style and it's hindrances that come with it. There is always pluses and minuses to everything and the plus is, with a style people will go hey that's a so and so image the bad is you only get a limited market to sell your style to. A person who doesn’t have an easily distinguishable style is able to sell to a broader market so yes more freedom. BUT the draw back is your work blends in with every other person who is doing the same thing. Style comes from your passion for things. What you enjoy and how you view the world is what creates your style. Find out who you are and what you enjoy and the rest will fall into place. Artistically though you also have to find your voice. What do you wish to say with your photos? How are you going to stand out amongst all the other people who are talking and screaming for attention? I’m still trying to find my voice but I have an idea of the direction I wish to go in and you will to.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home