Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I usually try to keep the movie posts to a minimum, but last night I rented a dvd which was possibly the most perfect (and I mean absolutely flawless) film I'd seen in recent history.

Kinsey

Run, don't walk, to the nearest video store and get this movie. A beautiful cast, beautiful cinematography, and the dialogue was written so tight, not a single line was wasted. The last time I said this was about "De Lovely", and even that started to drag toward the end. Kinsey kept bringing it all the way to the end. I was actually dismayed when the credits rolled... more, please!

At first I was hesitant about watching it. I thought this movie would be nothing but people telling stories about having sex in a whole catalogue of freaky ways, and as I am not doing that (and won't be for a very very very long time), the last thing I needed was lemon juice poured over that festering paper cut. Instead, I was treated to the beautifully told story of Al Kinsey's struggle to document and answer the most basic questions of human sexuality, liberally sprinkled with intelligent and clever humor, mercifully devoid of any crude shots. Kinsey tried so hard to quantify and categorize sex, and all along didn't realize that it is near impossible to seperate "Sex. No, I'm sorry, FUCKING..." from matters of the heart, as so poignantly berated to Kinsey by his assistant Clyde, played by Peter Sarsgaard. I love movies with soul, and this one definitely shows just what a crazy, unpredictable, and wonderful thing the human heart is.

Well... that, and nude scenes from Laura Linney (droooool!), and a not just passing, but lingering full frontal from Peter Sarsgaard (DROOOOOOOLLLL!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

And here's a link to the actual Kinsey Institute's website.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Definitely with you on that one, I saw it at the cinema when it was out a few months back - thought it was excellent.

Certainly refreshing to see people discussing it openly and enjoying sex just for what it is, nothing crude, just enjoyment - but paying attention to the difficulties.

Very refreshing; Kinsey did a good job.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home