Monday, May 30, 2005

You might have noticed that I haven't been saying boo about Iraq, Bush, Afghanistan, or anything like that. (bad hippie! bad bad bad hippie!) Honestly, it's because I don't think I have anything to say that somebody else hasn't already said. But yesterday in the break room at work, I was talking to somebody and they wondered why we don't just pull out of Iraq. Then a fresh reason struck me.

When I was in basic training in the Air Force learning to salute, they taught us never to put your hand level, as if you were shielding your eyes from the sun. Instead, when you touch your middle fingertip to your brow, you tilt the palm of your hand inward, as if you were hiding something. It's a cocky gesture. It brags that America has never lost a war.

"What about Vientam? Korea?" I hear you ask. Congress never declared war, so technically we've never lost one. Oh, we've run from plenty of conflicts with our tail between our legs, but never a war.

Anyway, the reason we don't pull out of Iraq is because Congress went and declared honest-to-goodness war. Simply for the sake of pride, we're gonna stay there until they can find some lame-ass excuse to say "We have won the war!", and then get the fuck out of that embarrassment. Otherwise, if we just up and left, Dubya would've launched the first war America has ever lost (or, not won. we never lose) in its history.

That, and we'd have to change our salute to palm-out... and that ain't never gonna happen.

7 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

You know, after typing this and then reading Raven's blog, I realized it's Memorial Day.

I hope nobody thinks I'm disrespecting the members of our military. I do have my moments of patriotic sappiness, and this is one of them. I wish every last one of them a safe return back home. I'm just pissed that they were forced to go there in the first place.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

It worries me that part of training is how to salute... LOL

Is it that important??? Surely time better spent learning some diplomacy techniques that don't involve yelling. ;)

America only really lost one war, the war of independence - bad result for the people of that country and the world.

Patriotism I don't do, nation states aren't a good thing in my opinion.

Soaring skywards
Leaping sideways
Do or die words cleave the air

Joy and laughter
Mornings after
Raise the rafters, we don't care...
If the roof's beyond repair

Raise the rafters
Raise the rafters
Raise the rafters, we don't care...
If the roof's beyond repair

Sisters, brothers, to all others
Let that be our guiding star...
Hearts on fire, but no messiah
Here the music from afar...
What we sing is what we are

Here the music
Here the music
Here the music from afar...
What we sing is what we are

Over hills and over valleys
Over mountains, over seas
Nations shall sing unto nations
Until nations cease to be
Unison in harmony

Until nations
Until nations
Until nations cease to be...
Unison in harmony

Until nations
Until nations
Until nations cease to be...

Unison In Harmony.


-- Unison In Harmony; Coope, Boyes & Simpson

6:27 PM  
Blogger :| raven |: said...

i agree with you Grover.

you can still support the troops who are there doing their job ... but not agree with the reason they were sent there.

i think it was a great post.

6:39 PM  
Blogger c said...

you wanna talk about disrespect... these kids are getting sent across seas (Btw these arent the children of the wealthiest 1% in case u were wondering) and they are told that their fighting for freedom

the ones that come back though will find that the freedom their fighting for is only a concept and the reality is that the govt is daily picking away at the freedoms all soldiers have fought for

ARGGGG this country is becoming more right wing and exculsionary by the day - just watch CNN and fox news and all these stations - 9 hours of michael jackson news, not a peep about the thousands of people starving. and when the MJ news is over, the Lou Dobbs show is supporting throwing children of illegal immagrants out of schools.

WTF!?

so anyway...

Happy Memorial Day

I'm mpving to Cuba

6:40 PM  
Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

I disagree. As is my right. Won't bore you with my reasons, but did not want my silence to mean agreement.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

And I certainly appreciate that. Mature and intelligent disagreement is encouraged here. Speak your mind. I'm always willing to having my eyes opened to a different point of view.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Scribe Called Steff said...

Being Canadian, we see a different world of news than you guys do.

That war was so sad. Your administration is so bad.

I don't know what else to say. It depresses me so much.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home