Friday, July 15, 2005

I've been taking unusually long pauses between updates, but frankly, not much noteworthy has been happening. However, last night is an exception. It all started as a usual night at Avalanche...

With a pitcher of beer and Angela in company, we sat at the usual table. Long story short, after a while of unloading our worldly woes on each other, (kinda lost track of time), the usual band kicked up. Remember Stephanie Westfall, the amazing singer I talked about previously? She'd been gone for about a month, but was back tonight. Angela's man showed up and we got to talking. I mentioned that the type of woman I really want to end up with would be a hippie chick, much like the singer. Turning around and looking at her, she looks over at me (busted!). Embarrassed, I turn away, but she walks over and starts talking to us! I take a flyer listing their shows for July and August, and sign up for the email list. She can't talk long as the band's next set is about to begin, but right before, a girl walks up and asks if they know "What a Wonderful World". She says she just got married, and that's their song. While she's taking requests, I ask if she'll sing on stage the a capella song she sang to me that first night.

They play "What a Wonderful World" first. I'm watching as the girl who requested the song climbs onto her husband's lap and sings the words to him. As I'm admiring the sight, I hear smoochy noises from behind me, and turn around to discover Angela and her man lip locked. I look back to the stage and spend the rest of the song grinning like a total cheeseball from my ever-swelling crush on the singer. Never underestimate the power of that song. The whole room felt like love, if only for those few minutes.

Second song, she starts out with "This one's for Andy." (teehee!) And there, you could hear a pin drop as she cast the same spell on the audience as she did on me that first night. As I applaud, I have the urge to grab a fork and make a heart-stabbing gesture, (i.e. "I'm done, stick a fork in me"), but decide not to be such a dork.

After that set, she grabs her glass of water and heads straight over to our table. (!!!) As she walks up I push out the chair next to me, and she sits down. The entire length of the break, we have the most wonderful conversation about music, movies, being involved in theatre productions, how I'd rather watch paint dry than sit through a Shakespeare play (despite my upbringing in the theatre), and other stuff. The band finishes their last set and we leave.

Outside, I mention to Angela that I have my camera with me, and the back wall of the Shell station with its soffit lights shining down would make a perfect back drop. We walk over and I take four or five mostly candid shots. I hope they turn out.

I spend all day today telling everybody who'll listen (and a few who didn't, but I told them anyway) about flirting with Stephanie. Despite my feet hurting and a new wisdom tooth aching like a motherfucker, I buzz all day.

:-)

---

At work, on a cardboard box in back that's been sitting there a while, there appeared the following messages:

handwriting 1: Eat at Joe's
handwriting 2: We've got crabs
handwriting 3: Stop writing on me!

So I add my little contribution:

It tickles.

---

The b&w jpegs that I uploaded to Click printed out absolutely gorgeous. My monitor is only a hair darker than the prints, so I pretty much see what I get. I'm going to upload my first 8x10 for pickup next thursday. Any suggestions? I'm kinda leaning toward the church dome and branch.

4 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

Ok, so I'm confusing the chronology a little. It's the break before the last set that she comes over and sits down, and in the final set that they do the requests. Yeah...that's it.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

There can be few greater pleasures than having some minor deity sing for you. Lucky you. :)

I think with everyone around me in lip-sync with such songs playing I'd be more likely to take a negative emotion away from the experience - pleased to see you take something better. :)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

No... only the wife was lip synching to her husband. Angela and her man were lip-locked... kissing like a Hollywood close-up.

Big difference. :-)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Well all the lips having some occupation whilst mine didn't would give much the same result - regardless of whose were doing what.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home