Saturday, November 05, 2005

Just finished "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou". Possibly the weirdest movie I've seen in a long time. Very much enjoyed.

---

Watched the third Star Wars movie the other night. All I could think of after Anakin is fitted with the Darth Vader getup is him saying "We have the technology to construct an entire man made planet, and you stick me in this tacky-as-hell 70's lookin monkey suit?"

---

Lowe's decided to discontinue its contract with my parent company for full time dedicated in-store technicians. As of 12/31, I be outuva job. Not to worry, in fact this all pans out nicely:

1)I really didn't want to go to school at night, and now my days will be open when the quarter starts in January for me to go full time during the day. I'll pick up some POS night job.

2) Moving in with the folks. Rent and utilities go bye-bye. Money not such a pressing issue, except that I will probably become as my brother so succinctly put it, "Discotheque Andy", thus requiring a certain amount of cash inflow. It'll all work out.

---

Yesterday morning we awoke to a sputtering and gasping noise, only to find that one of Viv's cats, Willie, was having trouble breathing. To make a long story short, in the car as we were rushing him to the only vet that would see him at that early hour, he drew his last breath. Incidentally, this was just about the same time that we turned a corner heading out into the farmland east of town, and had an unobstructed view of a sunrise whose color and brilliance was equal to or surpassing the one I photographed a few weeks ago. I found this very comforting.

I miss Willie. In the year that he was living here, I grew rather fond of him over Viv's other cats. I accept death as a part of life, and the vet said that this wasn't anything we could've done anything about anyway. Pulmonary adema caused by congestive heart failure. It was a natural cause, and it simply was his time to go. Still, I was somber all yesterday at work. I wish it could've been more peaceful for him.

Last night, in Viv's friend's back yard, we buried Willie in the flower bed that also serves as a memorial garden for their pets who've passed. We have a concrete garden ornament of a cat laying down curled up asleep. Caro took it and placed it over his grave. A fitting marker, I think.

Came home and gave Armand and Cozy great big hugs.

---

Picked up some photos from Wal-Mart. I've posted them on my flickr page, but here's the ones I'm particularly proud of. They're from a hike around Charleston Falls outside Tipp City, where I went on assignment from Nan to capture the fall color. This marks a quality of photography that I have wanted to reach, but has eluded me. I consider these possibly some of the greatest photos I've taken (aside from the one of myself... that one's just vanity):











Remember, these are the lo-res versions. If you would like the full-res, which can be taken to your local photo processor and enlarged, I will be happy to email them to you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Andy - you sure seem to be taking everything well in stride. Maybe you follow the same philosophy as me, that all the big life changes usually work out for the best.
Still though, I'm so sorry about Willie. I still grieve over my old cat who's been buried in our backyard (also with a sleeping cat statue over him) for 7 years. I wish he had a more dignified death.
You take to more amazing photos - have you ever considered a career in that area?

1:59 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Yeah, looks like we share very similar philosophies. As for being in stride... I'm kinda freaking out, just doing a good job of not showing it. :-)

As for the career... this summer I applied and was accepted to Ohio Institute of Photography and Technology, down in Dayton. I spent wednesday in their office with the financial aid officer signing my ass away to student loans. Winter Quarter starts early January, and I'll be bridging my love of medicine and photography in the Biomedical Photography program. I'll take as many creative electives as I can, though. I can't wait for Black and White Darkroom.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Biomedical photography - if that's not the coolest thing ever! I'm going to be counting on you and your considerable talent in the future to help bring an end to one of my pet peeves, which is people who give presentations with 7 gajillion slides of MRI brain scans - they all look the same to me!
I know you'll do fabulously in school. Still, though, I'm grateful I got all my schooling done back in the dark ages when tuition was still reasonable.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home