Friday, December 30, 2005

So last night I'm fidgeting with this little book light I got for Christmas. You know, the kind that you clip on the back cover, and with a light on the end of a gooseneck to illuminate what you're reading without disturbing anybody nearby? Well, this one has an LED instead of a normal incandescent lamp, and it gives off this absolutely frigid pale light. I was using it as a cat toy with Armand and Cozy when I suddenly admired how they looked when I shined it on them. So I set up my tripod and camera by my computer desk, and started experimenting...



I wanted to see how tight the spot illumination was at about a 45 degree angle.



For this one, I held the light over the camera and used my reflection in the lens to get an idea of what it looked like. When I first saw this, I was disappointed, but it occured to me that maybe with a little Photoshopping, this may be salvageable.



And voila! An uber-dramatic self portrait. If only I hadn't moved while the shutter was open...

---

There was another photo I may post later where I pointed the light closer to light up only my eyes, but it turned out just looking like a picture of a guy with a flashlight pointed at his face. :-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the black and white pic. it has that....dont piss me off look to it..plus it makes your eyes stand out :)

8:41 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Actually, this is pretty much a re-creation of a project in one of my photography magazines. The author of the article mentioned the trick of ever-so-slightly lightening the whites of the eyes, so that's what I did.

Good call there, Michelle. :-)

1:13 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

You look like you could be doing a goth-type video here. I'm thinking Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, although you don't look like Nick Cave, just gives me that imnpression.
Just pulled that out of my bum, call me an idiot.
Happy New Year, you sweet thang!

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home