Thursday, August 11, 2005

Good Times

I wrecked the Mirth-mobile today. Don't worry, I'm 100% fine. Not a scratch. Really, if the fates had pre-ordained me to crash, this was possibly the most ideal wreck one could have. A little back story...

(skiddly-doo! skiddly-doo! skiddly-doo!)

My front drive tires were getting old and worn a few months ago, so Caro's grandparents generously sprung for a set of "barely used" tires. Well, my back tires (like they do) really began to get beat up, so just yesterday they took me to Sam's Club and bought me two brand spankin' new Goodrich tires (made here in Troy, BTW), and moved the "new" cheap tires to the rear.

You can see where this is going.

Today, as I drove to Tipp City to pick up Caro, it began to rain. Southbound exit 69 (Yes, 69. Go ahead, we snicker about it too.) is two curves, one really sharp one to the right just as you get off (pun intended), and another gradual one up to 25-A. Well, as I took the first curve, the BF Goodrich tires did a fantastic job of sticking to the road. Unfortunately, the back ones slid out from behind me as if on a thick sheet of smooth ice. One nearly lateral fishtail later, I was bouncing off the guard rail and sliding across the lane to come to rest in the grass on the other side, facing where I came from. Not noticing any steam to indicate a busted radiator, I left the engine on and drove forward in the grass a few feet. Engine purred, and no scraping or weird noises as I moved forward.

To make a long story short, it was only superficial damage as the hood, plastic wheel well thingy, bumper, passenger side fender, and headlight fixture were destroyed, but the engine was fine. And so was I.

Really, I've been in such a fantastically good mood all day that all I really did was shrug this off. Actually, it was kinda fun. The only scary part was hitting the rail. I was scared to death that the airbag would deploy in my face. But it didn't, and will full coverage, I'll only have to pay the $500 deductible. Well, that and court costs for my "failure to control" citation, but the cop said that the judge would probably drop any fines.

All in all, I don't think this crash could've gone any better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

Extra credit to those of you who recognized the references to "Wayne's World". :-)

9:35 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Wow, you're lucky. Thank goodness you weren't hurt.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

As the saying goes, "nothing bruised but my ego". It's a dangerous game, vehicular pinball...

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home