Sunday, November 06, 2005

What's black, white, and yellow all over?

I recently read about using yellow, blue, or red filters which screw onto the end of your lens for b&w photography to get certain contrast effects. Asking R Rose about her photos, as she is the b&w queen who even develops her own film (how cool is that?), she told me that she shoots normally, but then uses a magenta filter when she exposes her prints.

Then I thought, gee, couldn't I do the digital equivalent by taking a normal photo, using photoshop to overlay a layer of yellow, and then turning it black and white for the same effect? Here's the result of my experiment:


This is the original.



This is the original with the color info removed and no other adjustments or modifications.


This is what happened when I created a yellow layer over the color original (to try and simulate a yellow lens filter [and which looked really funky]), and then turned it black and white. I think the yellow was a little too intense and created too high a contrast, but it definitely indicates that with a little fine-tuning of the settings, I can get the effect I want. Cool beans. I had to share this with you guys.

5 Comments:

Blogger Texas Gurl said...

the yellow filter effect aged the cars about a hundred years. cool.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Grover said...

Thanks! I really like what it did to the Sam and Ethel's sign.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Kellee said...

I like the original b&w - it looked really classy. I miss you Mr. Pants! Thank you for the sweet sentiments..I am still trying to get sort all this shit out while trying to maintain what is left of my sanity. Might get pretty interesting around here the next couple of days, eh? ;) The one thing that helped more than I thought possible was being greeted by my cats. I cryed for Willie. I am so sorry...I have been there and it IS a death in the family. Whoever wants to argue about that has obviously never loved or been loved by an animal. My heart goes out to you...my problems take a back seat to that. Hugs & Kisses.
xoxoxoxo

4:16 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

B&W photos are my favourite ones.
Sorry to hear about Willie. It's so very sad.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Kellee - it's been a couple of days, and I do hope things are falling into place for you. And thank you for your condolences. At least I can assure you Willie had a very beautiful burial. It seems like animal lovers like you, me, and the other readers are in a minority... but your problems don't take a back seat. We all have our situations to deal with.

Nan - Yeah, I've definitely got a soft spot for b&w. Despite my major being more of a technical and precisely structured methodology toward photography, I plan to take as many creative electives as I can, and I'm absolutely dying to take black and white darkroom.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home