Monday, November 29, 2004

I swear I don't make this up...

Saturday, at work, I was helping two guys decide on a grill to buy. Being the assembler and not a sales person, I tell it like it is instead of up-selling, and people seem to appreciate that. Anyhoo, these two guys must've been lesser than or equal to my own age. I'm 26. Both were dressed to the nines in yuppie casual clothes. They weren't rude or unpleasant (they were actually pretty cool to talk to), but by the slightly elevated volume of their voices and carefree nature, you could definitely detect an air of confidence that most people don't normally exhibit. After settling on a $700 Jenn-Air grill, I helped them load it into a brand new extended-cab, Cummins turbo diesel, dually Pick 'em up truck. (taint cheap) I had to wonder what the hell these guys did to have so much money at such a young age. Of course, that gave birth to the question of why I didn't have any money at such a late stage of my professional development...and as per usual, I started whigging out over my redneck lot in life.

Later that night, wallowing in my wonton soup, I was blessed with another fortune cookie:

"Good to begin well, better to end well."

I realized that as long as I keep trying, as long as I don't stop working toward my goal, it's ok to have a slightly crummy beginning. Those guys are off to a damn good start, and I wish them the best down the road, but as long as I persevere I'll earn my better ending.

Wow. I feel better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough...and dog-gonnit, people like me.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

See, and my first thought would have been... did they come by all that money legitimately? :)

Seriously, though, coming from another person struggling not to abandon dreams, I hear ya.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home