Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Quack, damn you!

Ok, so I've been totally addicted to the Discovery Channel show 'Mythbusters'. Particularly, I have been enamoured by the idea that working for M5 Industries, host Jamie Hyneman's SFX business that also is home to the show, seems like the coolest job on the face of the earth. It's based in San Fransico, a utopian dream of a city where I fantasize I might actually fit in. Cast member Kari Byron is this unique bohemian who is smart, creative, tough, tomboyish and hotter than a bubbly sunburn, and the whole cast seems like this tight knit cirle of die hard friends. Lately, I have been feeling jealousy pangs that have registered on nearby seismic detectors.

Alas, add some whiskey to the viewing and suddenly some of the truth starts to poke through. Watching the show with a heavy buzz, but still with my wits about me, I have arrived at two conclusions:

1) Jamie Hyneman is cool on camera but seems like he'd be a total bitch to work for in reality. Notice how nobody gives him any shit?

2) Kari really showed her true colors as a fluffy artsy-fartsy west-coast majorly-stuck-on-herself look-at-my-boobs attention-whore type. (of course, if I were in her shoes, I probably would be too)

Sour grapes? You bet...I'm puckering like a nerd at a kissing booth. My self preservation subsystem has kicked into high gear. But still, when bullshit filtering chemicals are introduced to the Mythbusters experience, I can't help but feel that I've been agonizing in vain. Just a little, anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

Wow, Grov, you told them. Time to go back to your glamorous and prestigious job of assembling barbeque grills while they just plod along like losers constructing hovering surfboards and blowing up houses.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Nevermind that on Kari's home page, www.karibyron.com, she hasn't a single photo of herself. So much for the vanity accusation. Sure, I could go back and edit the post, carefully covering my tracks, but that's not being honest to myself.

Mea Culpa. My true colors show that I'm just a jealous wanker.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home