Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Win some, lose some

Another "bee people" candidate group: Assembly. There is a story behind this.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, little Andy Hutchinson and his computer whiz-kid friend Craig were obsessed with "Demos". These were techno music and graphical extravaganzas where limits were pushed and rules were broken when it came to what you could do with computer graphics. These guys were gods, and they formed groups (mainly from Finland), the most famous of them called "Future Crew". There were many others, but little pre-pubescent Andy and Craig rocked out to early 8-bit techno, and it would solidify my taste in music for all time. Starting in 1992, these groups assembled to compete at a several-day-long party in Finland called Assembly.

It turns out (to my unparalleled delight) that the Demo Scene is alive, well, and putting serious foot to ass. If any of you want to know what truly floats my boat and gets my gears spinning, check out Demoscene TV. It is a peek into what makes me tick. I am beside myself with joy in discovering this. Maybe I'm not nearly as alone as I previously thought. Maybe my field of dancing bee people not only exists, but have a website that I now have found.

Naturally, they are in Scandinavia. Go figure.

5 Comments:

Blogger Texas Gurl said...

My mom has geese (as you know) and we were thinking of making halters for them to take them to the lake and other geese friendly places. I googled geese halter and came up with this character. So naturally mom ordered two of the halters and leashes.
Point of the story, there is a point that ties that rambling to your post, promise. If you've thought of something, chances are someone else has too. If you like something, chances are there are others that do too.
In Orkut and My Space there are different groups you can join of every kind of interest you could think of. I'm sure there's a group chatting about Demos right now. :)

12:01 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

TG has a good point there, it's very rare to be a rarity. There are plenty of people who like Demos, though I couldn't find a group for it on myspace with a brief check.

Plenty of people... like me for example. :)

I used to love them in the early nineties, in fact I had a stab at writing them a few times. Coding those graphics routines is quite good fun if you happen to like pretty patterns and have the geometry skills for it. LOL

Just looked at that site... Wow, they've come on a bit since the last time I saw any... Absolutely amazing.

Good find.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

No shit!! If I say "Unreal ][", you know what I mean! The one techno song to rule them all. The one song by which all others are compared. (and God bless the creators of Winamp for including S3M and MOD capabilities!)

11:08 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Oh, and remember Purple Motion's mod Soul-o-Matic? (if not, I can email it to you) I once saw one of those late night television sex chat commercials that used it as the background music. I about fell out of my chair laughing.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Techno was never my favourite genre, but when it was attached to pretty patterns that I had a thing for, it was all good. LOL

Mod playing is essential, I've got tons of tracker songs that need playing.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home