Saturday, March 12, 2005

I am posessed by this house...

Seriously. The people who live in my apartment building are deranged, and for a nutter like me to make that claim, you know they have to exhibit some seriously off outward behavior.

First, there's the new people who moved in next to us. They definitely lean toward the redneck persuasion, but the husband is super friendly. No problem there. His wife, however, will peek through the back door (like that's not totally obvious) and wait for you to drive away before emerging. If she's outside and you drive up, she'll scurry in and slam the door. I have yet to get a hello out of her.

Then there's the neighbors down the way with a Lassie-ish dog who can't bark. They'll secure him/her to the tree out front, and he/she/it will look like it's trying to say something, but all you'll hear is wheeze! wheeze! wheeze!

(Not really a direct fault of the demons posessing the structure, but it's another oddity to add to the twilight zone-y ambiance.)

Finally there's the lady who lives on the other side of our apartment. I'd say she's either my age or slightly younger, with two young children, and she's relatively normal looking and pretty. Think Avril Lavigne. Again, getting a hello out of her increasingly is becoming comparable in probability to sqeezing maple syrup from a chunk of granite. Just this morning she was going out to her car the same time I was. Her son smiled at me and babbled something about what he ate for breakfast, and I said (with a big grin and exaggerated "talking to a little kid" tone of voice) "Really? Wow! That sounds yummy!" She just glares at me like I told her kid to fuck off or something.

I don't understand the frost, I'm just trying to be friendly. I wanted to say to her, "You might as well let your guard down and warm up to us. We're really nice people. Besides, there isn't nearly the divide between us that you perceive. The walls here are pretty thin, and it's not like we can't hear when you listen to the stereo or fuck in the shower."

Of course, I don't actually say that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

And I swear my apartment is haunted. Every now and then, for no apparent reason, the downstairs bathroom door with rattle like something blunt (like a pillow) hit it.

And don't give me any of this air-pressure-difference-opening-and-closing-doors-vent-fan-wind-outside physics crap. I know a ghost when I think I see one! :-)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Or hear one! ;)

Whilst I maintain that polite, cordial relationships with neighbours are an absolute must - I do tend to avoid my new next-door neighbours a little. Not that I have any reason to do so, I'm just shy and they are near my age.

I'm much better with people nowhere near my age, preferably retired. I definitely get on with pensioners best.

There's an Avril Lavigne looking lady next door to you? I'll catch the next flight... ;)

Some people are really frosty to anyone they don't know. Many parents are frosty when people talk to their kids these days - to many silly news reports scare them in to seeing demons on every corner.

Mind you, believing you have a haunted appartment isn't a lot better. ;)

Perhaps singing the Ghostbusters theme loudly will disspell them.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

Orbling,
You get along well with Andy, Stephanie, and I really great...and we're not elderly (although I'm getting there). :)

Andy,
I've never experienced any ghosty like phenomenon but I don't rule out supernatural existence. How does Caroline react to these noises? I would probably be a bit uneasy while I was alone, but I don't know.
As for your frosty neighbors...it seems like some people just get into an everyday routine rut. They don't want to venture outside their bubble. They are probably in a hurry, involved in their own thoughts on the way to the car or whatever.
Poor Lassie has so much to say. What if he has been trying to communicate that Timmy's fallen in a well for the last two years and just hasn't been able to bark it out. He's probably going nuts. Maybe the owners had him debarked, as dogs that are usually just wheeze or breathe hard.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Thanks TG :)

I did say I get on better with people further away from my own age - perhaps I just get on with them really well. ;)

Perhaps not, LOL

Andy and you are very close to my age, Steph is 2/3 of our age - so far enough away for me to get on with. Most of my close mates that I spend time with are 2-3 years younger than me, not sure why, just the way time panned out. Online is different, I talk daily with people with ages ranging from 15-62, IIRC. The net usefully removes a lot of the normal dividers in society.

Why would anyone 'debark' their dog?? That sounds like a disgusting thing to do... :(

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home