Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Near perfect day

Busy day today. Started by having my initial intake appointment with a counselor. Our county has this thing where you can get mental health appointments at a reduced rate depending on what you make. It was very pleasant, I must say.

Then I took Caro to school. She had two classes today, so I bummed around campus while she was there, and we had lunch at the cafeteria between. I got two and a half pages of sketches in. Today was the first nice day of the year. Temp in the 70's, no humidity, nice warm breeze... simply heavenly. Lots of people sunning themselves in the courtyard between classes, so I had models a-plenty to scratch out quick drawings of.

Being around all those people made me realize something. I love humanity. I am so in love with people in general, I just want to do like that guy in the famous WWII homecoming picture and grab some random person and just give them a bear hug and big sloppy kiss. (no, I'm not actually going to do that) I just feel sometimes that I could burst like a balloon with affection for my fellow humans. You ever get that feeling?

I did force myself to do something, though. I made myself stop sketching people as they sat there snoozing, reading, or spacing out. I decided to shuffle off my role as the outside observer, so I put my sketchbook down, leaned back, and joined the beautiful human tableau on this gorgeous day. For the first time in a very long time, I didn't feel out of place at all.

It was very pleasant, I must say.

4 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

Well, it does sound very pleasent. :)

I'm never going to get used to the americans referring to higher education as "school", we don't use that word past the age of 16 really - so my head automatically associates it solely with kids... I take it Caro is over 16? ;)

"I just feel sometimes that I could burst like a balloon with affection for my fellow humans. You ever get that feeling?"

Nope. But I'm miserly fellow.

Sometimes I feel like I could burst with my desire to remove vast quantities of yobs and ghetto idiots from the streets - is that similar? ;)

10:49 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

sounds like a very pleasent day.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Miserly schmiserly! You've never been anything other than supportive and sweet.

Most Americans would use 'class' instead of 'school' when referring to anything beyond high school, as in the following: "I have class today after work." Maybe it's just a regional midwestern thing. We use "college", but it's much more broad a term, as in "I'm starting college this year." Not usual for day-to-day use.

Yob. What a great invective. I'll have to integrate it into my daily vocabulary.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Our usage of the words is confusing, as school is used for compulsory education - definitely upto 16, and some people take their post-16 education (16-18) in a sixth form within their schools, others will have that education at a college. Higher education, 18+ is normally at a university - though to add to the confusion, some of the bigger universities are made-up of smaller units called "colleges"...

So my university was called Imperial College, London. It's a tad confusing. ;)

The word yob is considered a little snooty, but I think it is approriate quite often. The behaviour of some of the street urchins these days is appauling. :S

Oh, and thank you for calling me sweet. :)

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home