Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Honda, Hiking, and the Occasional Skunk

Walked home from work today. Really it's only a 7 minute drive, so at a steady march (as opposed to a casual stroll) it only took just under an hour. No biggie. The way home takes me past the Honda parts warehouse where I used to work, so I waved hi to Angela as I hiked past. She works weird hours so I know she was in there.

One thing I noticed on this walk is that people are nasty bastards. Honestly. Take a several mile long walk past some non-residential areas and it's amazing the beer bottles and cans strewn all over the goddamn place. You never notice all this crap while going by at 30 miles per hour or faster, except maybe for the larger white McDonald's cups. Here on McKaig Ave, after it heads out of the city, there are twice as many alcoholic beverage containers than there are pop cans and bottles. (and it's not even good beer!) Now I understand why that Native American dude from that 70's commercial was crying. Our highways and byways have become landfills. It's fucking disgusting!

And roadkill really smells bad. Especially skunks. Almost lost my lunch.

5 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

Totally feel for you, or the land, there. I absolutely hate littering.

All through my life I've been the butt of jokes regarding littering as I won't tolerate it and will pick up peoples' litter and carry it about till I find a bin. My mates always used to deliberately chuck everything on the floor to annoy me, cans, food, paper, everything. So annoying, so upsetting.

The way people treat the world is a disgrace.

7 minute drive = 1 hour walk? You must drive fast. Round here 7 minutes in the car is about 20 mins walk, if that. At rush hour it's probably more like 4 mins walk. LOL

6:39 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Well, part of my drive to work is a shortcut down a country road between ends of town, so for a few minutes I am going about 60 miles per hour.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Guess what the average car speed is on London roads in the daytime?

9:42 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

according to a pdf file I found on google:

"Weekday daytime speeds in Central London are around 15 kph (just under 10 mph)"

Oh, the joys of population density. That's one of the things I do like about this part of Ohio. Low population density. People aren't crammed up against each other.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Think she's already pissed...

Try 2mph for the busier times of day... Greater London isn't that large, only a few miles in each direction, and it is home to 7 million people...

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home