Friday, April 22, 2005

Make it go away

We're at O'Brian's tonight eating dinner, and as time passes the long table across the aisle slowly fills up with 30-something couples. They come in one by one and are all dressed business casual, no shirt untucked, not a hair out of place. Everything white and pastel save for the khaki slacks. The couples segregate to opposite ends of the table, and the men order beers while the women sip on glasses of Chardonnay. They chat quietly amongst themselves.

This tableau, frozen in my mind's eye, fills me with a feeling which the closest word I can think to describe it, is horror. I am terrified by what I'm watching. I want to run away from it. To me it looks like living death.

4 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

I've heard that they invented a special word to capture the essence of that horror.

Believe it began with 'M'....

9:39 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

You know, the "m" word had a large part to do with it, but not 100%. There was something else. Something infinitely creepy... a sense almost like the term that movie makers use to describe situations that aren't unrealistic, but just a step beyond normal (i.e. One-Hour Photo). I think they call it "heightened reality".

4:43 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Yeah, I know what you mean - dead creepy, not least as it probably feels contagious.

One-Hour Photo was great. :)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

Did I hear one hour photo? ;)

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home