Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Party Boy

Remember Party Boy? There's a little back story I never mentioned. He comes and talks to me a couple of times a day, and mostly it's just boredom induced BS-ing. Every once in a while, though, he talks about the real stuff going on in his life, and usually it somehow boils down to his ex-girlfriend who dumped him four months ago. You can tell he still has feelings. Sure, he'll talk about the women he's dated, flirted with, and/or had sex with, but he always references his ex.

Well, to make a long story short, she realized the error of her ways, having left Party Boy (who overflows with tons of heart, try as he might to hide it) for a real jerk-off. Over the weekend she got back in touch with him, and last night they got back together. Today, Party Boy was absolutely glowing and giddy as a little kid. All he could talk about was how he always loved her, and how she never stopped talking about him to her friends at work. He even said that he always knew she was the one to be the mother of his children. I couldn't help but recall the Bryan Adams line "And when you see your unborn children in her eyes, you know you really love a woman." It was sweet when she came to visit him today. You should've seen the way they looked at each other. It was just so damned sweet.

To reference another song lyric, "Desperado" says "Freedom? Well, that's just some people talking. Your prision is walking through this world all alone." Party's mature enough to feel that way. Chickpea has been hinting in that direction. Texas Gurl is lamenting her solitude. For a good while now, I've been saying that I'd rather be eaten by a shark than get into another relationship. I'd rather be mauled by a fucking grizzly bear than tied down. But then, in an email to Chickpea about her latest post, I agreed with her when she says that she's a rare catch. I said that she's a rare bird, and there are a lot of people who would love to cage her, but there are also others who would set her free.

Then I thought, could I turn my own preaching around on myself? Should I be so abjectly afraid of relationships? Sure, I'm gonna have to be wary of those would posess me, but maybe, just maybe, it is possible that I may find somebody who could set me free? Somebody who would make me infinitely happier than if I were left walking through this world all alone.

8 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

"And when you see your unborn children in her eyes, you know you really love a woman."

Well I feel that.

A couple of friends and I had a conversation about this last weekend. I stated that I could not have sex with someone if I didn't believe with a passion that I would be happy to have children with them - just in case it happened. The moment I stop feeling that, I can not continue with the sexual element at least.

One of them agreed, the other said the opposite - obviously we know why he enters relationships.

The long-term goal has got to be a relationship really though hasn't it? The trouble with meaningless stuff is it's just that.

A lot of sacrifice is usually required, but good matches minimize that - moral of the story. Look before you leap - but do leap.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't get that email...

9:13 AM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

deep.

I'm not a big fan of 'relationships', but when I met Shaun it was different. He didn't try to consume me. He was my bestfriend.

Ohhh that sounded SO sappy.

Good luck, I just hope you meet someone that sees you for all that you are, all that you are not and loves you because of both of those things...

OH GOD. I AM TURNING INTO A SAP!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bad - got it.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Well sap is a sweet substance that is the life blood of many a life.

With that in mind, being sappy doesn't sound so bad. ;)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Orb, you are a man of principle. I have to admire that. But when it comes to meaningless, I can't help but wonder... do the meaning and the sex have to come from the same person? I mean, I was worried about the emotional emptiness of just having sex with the person who emailed me, but then I thought back to Angela. She is my friend, but not a sexual partner. She fills that half of my soul, why can't the email person fill the physical half? Oh, the untested waters...

Kristine - Sappy? A little, but as Orb said, it's really sweet. :-) (and I'm a total sentimental schmuck.) I know I'm a bit of a lurker in your blog, only leaving a pointless comment here and there, but I read it almost every day, and really admire the relationship you and Shaun have. I do hope to meet a woman with the Photoshop savvy to compare me to Zoolander's "Blue Steel". :-)

Stacy, don't worry. I live by that. Caro and I recently attended a booksigning by one of her favorite authors. When asked about how much rejection she had to endure, she replied that she taped her denial letters up on the wall. By the time a publisher accepted her, she had two entire walls covered. I thought that was such a wonderful parable for life.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

"do the meaning and the sex have to come from the same person?"

Good point, I've always considered love and lust to be seperate and not necessarily required to co-exist.

My lust would have me desire half the people on the planet, my love would have only a select few.

Still though, I'd find it nigh on impossible to go with randoms - not a risk taker. Besides, I'm the faithful type.

I was having a clearout yesterday and found the box and little bag the ring I wear was given to me in - the relationship it enshrined maybe long over, but the box was kept, as is the ring.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

The Desperado lyrics have a different meaning to me, I think. I believe it means prison is going through life without anyone--friends to share it with, family for love and support, and/or a lover to fill the void. But, it's rare to find all three.
I say enjoy this time of your life. Experiment, test your personal bounderies, grow, mature, find yourself.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home