Saturday, October 01, 2005

I wanna be where the people are. I wanna see, wanna see them dancing.

Went to the Dayton Art Institute's Oktoberfest with Caro, her mom, and her mom's man. Despite several offers, I was driving, so I drank only one watered-down beer. I mean, how lame is that when I, a total lightweight when it comes to drinking, downs a cup of beer on an empty stomach and doesn't even get a hint of a buzz? Besides, I just wasn't in the mood for alcohol. I wanted to keep a clear head for a particular phone call I'd been looking forward to.

Anyway... as we get there, we're snaking our way through the crowd when I hear a familiar voice singing a familiar song... Holy Shit! It's Stephanie! (oh, yeah, and the rest of the Danny Voris Project too) Immediately, it was like the Pied Piper... I just beelined brainlessly toward the sound. I finally got a few pictures of the band. Anyway, she sings one more song and then heads off the stage. I walk around back to say hi to her, and when she sees me, she gives me the "Heeeeeey! What are you doing here?" and a big hug. We chitchat for a bit, but then the band is invited for an encore song which I shoo her off to the stage for and then sit in the audience to get another good photo or two. Good times. I would almost swear she seemed happy to see me.

---

Saturdays on NPR they play a show called "This American Life". Today, the host was talking about watching Disney's "Snow White" for the first time as an adult, and how much he thought it was like an opera with the characters all entering movie with songs about themselves. He mentioned this to his sister who works for Disney, and she said that it's not opera. It's called the "I wish" song, and nearly every musical has one where the main character is introduced with a song identifying their wants, thus establishing their motivations and the story line.

Anyway, this struck me as a bit of an analogy for my life, as the character of Andy is on the threshold of being introduced to the world.

The much-anticipated phone call tonight was with Texas Gurl. I was standing out in my parking lot talking to her when this incredibly bright shooting star streaked across the sky. I told her about it, and she asked if I made a wish. I told her I'm not sure yet what to wish for.

I have yet to sing my "I wish" song. Readers, what lyrics do yours contain?

---

Also, in talking to Texas Gurl, she mentioned my post a week or so ago about the "one night snuggle stand", but she mistakenly called it my "snuggle slut" post. What a wonderful phrase she coined... snuggle slut. That's exactly what I am. Right at this very moment, sex is a far far secondary urge to the need for the warm feeling of another body held against mine. Ugh. I hate this empty feeling.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

What I can tell you, though, is that if I had to make a wish on that shooting star, Texas Gurl would be the nucleus.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home