Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Ok, so here's Saturday night: Old school readers, do you remember my post with Elf Girl and Kitchen Queen? Well, KQueen is a drag performer (a la "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert") at a club here in Dayton called The Cell Block, and they were putting on a show and raffle to raise money for Katrina victims. A group of people were going from work to see him. Elf Girl, her partner in crime Country Girl, Quiet Girl, and a coupla guys from night shift I don't know asked me if I wanted to go too. I invited Angela to come along, especially since she was sick that thursday and we couldn't do our Avalanche 'thing'.

So I pick up Angela and all but two of the dudes meet up at Elf Girl's place at 7:30 (incidentally, just a street over from me). We cruise to a line dance bar called The Yellow Rose, and meet up with the other two dudes. It's really Quiet Girl's night, as she has never been out to bars before, and the others were determined to see her drunk. As the DD, I am drinking only ice water. I had my alcohol thursday night at the Dunaway's (I'll write about that in a bit) The place isn't really any of ours' bag except Country Girl's, but the girls all ride the mechanical bull, and I take Angela out for the first slow dance. (don't be getting any ideas! We kept a respectable distance).

On to Cell Block, as the show starts at 11. Anyway, at the show was another of the managers, who tries so hard to act proper, but everybody knows he's gay. He's a great guy, but it was weird since the only times I see him are at work when he's got his pleated khakis with shirt tucked in and nice shiny shoes. KQueen done up like a burlesque hussy? No shocker there. He's such a colorful personality anyway, but the Manager? There's Mr. Straight-Laced sitting in jeans and t-shirt waving his hands in the air and holding dollar bills in his mouth for the performers to snatch up.... who are you and what have you done with my manager? Anyway, the girls are all having a great time dancing around grinding against the guys and each other. Us guys are having a great time watching. The other three were danced upon, but the girls kept thinking Angela and I were together, so no slinky dancing for Andy. :-(

Anyway... long story short, the girls pair off with the dudes, and Angela's man shows up after an hour or two. Elf gets all "oh, poor Andy!" when I'm standing there all alone while everybody is with somebody else, so she gives me a few seconds of consolation grinding. (schwing!)

What really had me concerned, though, was that Angela had a fair amount to drink already, and even after Country Girl and I tell him this, he keeps pumping her full of daiquiris while staying mostly sober himself. This got me worried, as I knew a hotel room was involved and still don't completely trust the guy (even though he's cool to talk to), and I just wanted to see her safe and sound back in her home. Hence the worried post sunday morning, but it sounds like it all turned out for the best.

It's not that I don't want to see her with him so I can be selfish, or anything. You know, the whole "passing the best friend test" thing? I just want to see her with somebody I can trust to be good to her. Angela and I make the best of friends, but in the long run our personalities are so opposite that even if she were to offer, I know we'd make the absolute worst of significant others for each other. :-)

---

Thursday night in a nutshell: Anglea sick, had to bail. Caro gone most of the night. I go get a turkey hoagie and beer at D's. Stay until karaoke starts. Football actually gets interesting about a pitcher in, although I still don't know who TCU is. I rooted for the guys in the purple uniforms. Dude sits down next to me. He's a talent scout for the Dayton/Cincy area. As I pore over the books looking for songs to sing, he says that I'm probably being humble, and am actually a good singer. Being an open personality, and the only guy there with long hair and who didn't look like a total little preppie, I think he thought I was some rebel rock-star type. I prove him horribly wrong as the night goes on, but he's got some golden pipes and wows the crowd a few times. Had some wonderful intelligent conversation though, and I wrote down Stephanie Westfall's name and Danny Voris' website. Told him if he wants to see somebody who deserves stardom, go see her as soon as humanly possible. I leave, hoarse from singing.

I have discovered secret weapon #2, though. (#1 being the kilt, but I was in my work clothes) As I sang "Wonderful Tonight", it was great fun to watch every woman in the place over 45 gradually melt into a puddle. One lady starts making eyes at me. I smile back. Throughout the night she continues doing so, and I keep smiling back, but I wasn't in the mood to flirt. Sometimes I can be such a beggar and a chooser.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

You're such a great guy. It's so nice that you look after your female friends like that. They are lucky!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Nah, I'm not great. It just seems that way because there are so many jerk-offs out there. I have to thank them, really, for making average joes like me look good. :-)

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home