Sunday, December 25, 2005

Well... did Santa bring you guys everything your little hearts desired? I had a small but fruitful holiday bounty:

1) Non-stick griddle and one of those gihugeous round but paper thin nylon pancake turners. (really the only things I asked for this year... everything else I wanted was too high-dollar to ask for)
2) $75 gift certificate to BK Photo. (both 1 and 2 from Mom & Chuck)
3) $30 gift card to Click! Camera from Bro & Sis-in-law, a little book of Peanuts Christmas cartoons through the ages, plus a handful of rolls of film they won't use since switching to digital.
4) $50 from the grandparents. (Fifty dolla bill! Fifty dolla bill!)*
5) Book on Photoshop CS2 from Viv, plus a weather watchers calendar.
6) Two packs of HP Premium Plus 8 1/2 x 11 photo paper sheets. (from cousin Mike, at Lukens family Christmas Eve dinner and gift exchange)

All in all, pretty damn good. The best gift will be when I process my rolls of film and see if the trick of taping toilet paper over my flash (as suggested by Jeff, a pro photographer I work with at Lowe's) made my pictures look better.

---

Mom twisted my arm to go to church last night after the family get-together. While not at all opposed to the idea, and Ginghamsburg being a super-progressive church, I really am not 100% comfortable there. I dunno. Something just rubs me the wrong way about practicing and expressing something that I consider to be absolutely sacredly personal in view of a crowd like that.

There is a palpable power going on there, but it's the people. It's the strength and will of the congregants and administration, and you can feel it in the air like legions of fans all grooving on the same wavelength at a rock concert, but I didn't feel one teensy little bit of the supernatural presence that I did when watching and photographing that sunset at the Patterson Memorial. I left the church feeling every bit as empty as I did walking in, as opposed to when I do things like hiking around Charleston Falls on a bright fall day, and leaving with the feeling of being as fulfilled as if I just had fantastic sex. Call me crazy.

---

Speaking of, friday night I generated what is possibly the hottest story I've ever done, and I call Angela saturday to boast. Naturally, she trumps me with something ten times hotter than I could ever hope to experience.

Dammit, Angela! :-)

--

Am I the only one who nearly died laughing when, earlier this month, NPR did a legitimate and serious piece on "Radical Militant Librarians"? All I could picture was some Seinfeld-esque Library Nazi:

"No Books for you!!"

---

* 1000 bonus points to anybody who recognizes where that came from.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

You scored really well on Christmas gifts. I got a bunch of cds that I had asked for (yay!), but at my age it's not really about gifts anymore - other than the gift of time to relax.
You've got me stumped on the fifty dolla bill, although I feel I should know it...

12:23 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Soup Nazi!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Barbara - Yeah, I'm not so much about quantity any more. Here at home, I had three things to open up, and I was happy as a clam. As for the line, it's from "The Goonies". Data shouts it when he turns on the printing press churning out counterfeit $50 bills. :-)

Nan - Now that's one radical militant restauranteur!

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home