Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Fighting for my right to party

Well, for the first time in recorded history, my pre-conceived notions were actually correct. It was a sip your pop, eat a cookie, listen to (really bad) sacred music and chitchat type of evening. All in all, a perfectly normal and pleasant soiree.

I started the evening, of course, with my back plastered to the wall, holding my cup defensively in front of me with both hands. It gave me the heebie-jeebies to be in a house with so many other 20-somethings. Eventually, though, I loosened up and a few conversations ensued, all of which were intelligent and interesting. Somebody made caramel brownies that were chewier than rubber cement but fantastically delicious. Anyways, come to find out, they hold bible discussion group on Monday nights, but last night they just decided that it was time to chill. I wouldn't've minded discussing anything... actually I was a little bummed. They seemed a pretty groovy lot, more interested in the underlying philosophies than the "THOU SHALT NEITHER QUESTION NOR THINK FOR THYSELF!!" attitude, so disturbingly common around here. Final answer: It was nice. I had fun.

5 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

A funny post script to the evening: The directions I was given were very vague, and the house was in a somewhat posh end of Vandalia, so I had to ring a few wrong doorbells before I found the right house. I think I freaked a few people out, a stranger at their door after dark cradling a Dr. Pepper 2-liter.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

well thank goodness you and the 2 liter made it there in one piece and hopefully you were in bed by nine, mister!
just kidding. glad you had a good time. at least you went, met some new people, and socialized a bit.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

The religious minded are quite interesting to talk to if they are of the questioning type. I do believe I would've felt uncomfortable in that environment though, you're very brave! :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

What surprised me the most about talking to these guys:

1) They didn't get on my case about not going to church, or even being Christian for that matter. They were totally accepting and non-confrontational. I was expecting more conservative attitudes, but they were pleasantly liberal.

2) They agreed with me when I said that the vast majority of Christians are scary, especially here in Troy, where St. Patrick's Cathedral is a very strong presence.

3) One guy said "Well, then, are you Wiccan?" with genuine curiosity, not accusation. When I told him no, but that I read up on it (and thought that I was at one point), he dug the idea that god/goddess/jesus/buddha/allah/whatever... different costumes for the same underlying core idea. The apples around that core just fleshed out in different shapes, sizes, flavors and colors. He liked that. It's a gross simplification, granted, but it's a good starting point.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Yeah, some of the religious lot are surprisingly broad-minded considering.

The conversation usually sours when you say, "no, I'm an atheist", or "sorry, I'm insufficiently stupid to accept that arguement"..

Use those comments sparingly.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home