Thursday, December 09, 2004

Woohoo! I'm a big kid now!

(singsongy) I'm goin to a party! I'm goin to a party! I'm goin to a party!

Finally, after 26 long years, I'm finally going to a party with people my own age. Sure, there've been theatre cast parties, but it doesn't really count when I'm the only person under 40, and my mom is there. Kinda sucks all the flavor out of the occasion. I do have a few reservations about attending this Christmas party, though:

1) the girl from work who invited me is...well...enthusiastic about her church, and I have a hunch that this is a function thereof. Don't get me wrong, she never ever pushes her views, and she hates it when other people do. She's a total sweetheart, and doesn't get defensive when people disagree with her. She's what I call a 'groovy Christian'. I'm afraid the others won't be so open minded.

2) If this does turn out to be a church function, her denomination is pretty strict on the no alcohol / no sex before marriage / gays are evil type stuff. Not that I'm looking for sex with her (or a gay guy), I'm just pointing out the prevailing attitude. Fearing a sip some punch / eat a cookie / listen to quiet music / praise Jesus type occasion.

BUT! But, but, but... I will not let fear get in the way. First off, this fear is flimsily based on prejudgement and preconceived notions, and we doesn't like that, does we precious? No we don't! Secondly, she never directly linked this party to her church, so I kinda feel like an asshole for jumping to conclusions. So are we going to act upon said fears? Fuck that. I'm going to go, be polite, enjoy myself, and maybe raise a little hell. Or not. Note the obvious anxiety. Really, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm just so unbelievably flattered that somebody thought of me. Yay!

2 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

Yep, she told me today. It's with her church people. Still, I'm holding out hope that they're as cool as she is. I'm gonna have fun, don't worry about little old me.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

you know i've never met a guy so secure in who he is...and not afraid to talk about it. either you're really sweet and funny or a bit weird and neurotic. haven't decided yet. :)
can't wait to hear how the party goes. hope you have fun. it's nice to get out ever now and then. you spoke about being invited out with some guys before and you didn't go. it sounds like you wanted to go, why didn't you?
even if it is just a lame church crowd, you can still make the best of it and have fun. get a game of cards going or a board game started, meet new people and expand your views, practise your people skills on the losers so when you go to a nice party you'll feel more comfortable. i'm not saying any of them will be losers, i'm sure they're nice people, but, well, you know what i mean, right?
good luck and keep us posted.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home