Friday, February 25, 2005

And a chantey to sing

I forgot to mention that the new name for this blog is a line from a song I wrote last summer:

Where art thou, my brothers? We'll ditch this dull life
And set out for adventure
In search of that rarest of treasures.
Bust out of this prisionous ball-and-chain life
In search of that rarest of treasures!

Where are you, my droogies? We'll sit in a bar
As we drink and we sceme
Our next round of fun ultra-mischief.
Drinking our fill gearing up for a night
Of cavorting and fun ultra-mischief!

Where be ye me hardies? We'll sail the high seas
And buckle the swash
In search of that rarest of treasures.
With a bottle of rum and a chantey to sing
As we search for that rarest of treasures!

Chorus:
Cause I can't make it on my own.
Cause I can't do it all alone.
Cause I need some help to see the journey ahead of me
A light in the darkness to help guide the way.


It has a 4/4 triplet one-and-a two-and-a three-and-a four-and-a sway. For anybody who's read Tolkien, I had just thumbed through "The Hobbit" looking for some structural ideas and had the cadence of one of the dwarves' songs in my head.

Concerning what "that rarest of treasures" is... I leave it to your imagination. It could be love. It could be companionship. It could be self discovery, spiritual creaminess, sexual conquest, or even just the simple knowledge of what one is looking for in the first place. I've a hunch that far too many people haven't even made it to that point. (myself included) One of these days I'll make a recording (beyond the shitty one I already have) and let you guys hear it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

Excellent little shanty there, I love shanties. :)

Especially when you went all Clockwork Orange, it videed well.

"the simple knowledge of what one is looking for in the first place"

Possibly the most important thing one should know about oneself. It's discoverable. You just have to think hard and be honest. I've taken the last few years off just pondering on that really, and I was pondering part-time for the last 15 at least. But, I do now have a reasonably good idea of who I am, and what I'm looking for.

Though I'm stuck as to how to find it.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home