Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Normal?

I just finished watching the movie with the double-meaning title "Normal". If you haven't seen it, it's about a guy who lives in Normal, Illinois (a podunk redneck little town) who wants to get a sex change operation. His wife (Jessica Lange, MILF extraordinare) although suffering several bouts of doubt and anger, in the end accepts his decision with the final line of the movie: "The things we do for love."

Orb mentioned the word 'solipsism' a while ago, and it has been echoing in my head ever since. This movie is a shining example of solipsism. Tom Wilkinson's character faces head-on alienating himself from his peers and his immediate family for something that he and he alone knows to be right. Solipsism. What a powerful word.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

Can you believe that I just found out a couple of months ago what "MILF" stands for. Man I was a bit out of the loop on that one!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Can you believe that I knew what the word solipsism meant before I knew what MILF stood for? What a sad git I am. ;)

I'm forever alienating everyone because I pretty much never back away from my opinion. Perhaps it's a disease. Mind you, I respect people so much more if they really stick to their guns, and maintain their points of view. People who blow in the wind get real tiresome.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

I am a steadfast worshipper of the almighty milf. Many women stay sexy well into their 50's. Hell, there's three here at work. Other milves of note: Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton (esp. after her nude scene in "Something's Gotta Give"), Susan Sarandon, Lena Olin... the list goes on and on. :-)

I think (for me) it all started with the lady who played Auntie Vera in "The Secret of My Success", which HBO played the shit out of just as I was beginning to switch on as a kid in the 80's.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Physical attractiveness flits in and out of peoples' lives. Certainly it doesn't have an absolute upper age limit.

I try not to pay attention, *try* being the operative word.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home