Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I found Jesus. He was behind the couch all this time.

I was listening to the radio today, and they were talking about the roots of fanaticism, and they mentioned a concept called 'striving for the inner ring'. It basically entails striving to attain positions within higher and higher social circles, craving praise and validation from the right people. The commentator called it "spiritual longing gone sour".

Spiritual longing gone sour. Very poetic. Hmm.... possibly the root of some of my slightly more shallow desires? But how to quench this "spiritual longing"? Church frightens me. Tried the pagan thing, but found it just isn't my bag. Buddhism? Hinduism? Zoroastrianism?

Dammit. I hate this.

5 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

Spirituality can take many paths, the best is probably just a general self belief and strong moral positions. What some might call good karma.

When you feel content in yourself and your actions, you're doing fine.

Though I take note of some of the old north european pagan ideas, I tend towards Gaiaism. Though if it's a question of faith, I'm atheist.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Spiritualiy and religion as very personal things and very individual. You can have your own beliefs and they don't have to fall under any label such as Pagan, Buddhism or the likes.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in a half Jewish (my roots) and half Lutheran household. Then my mother went new age, my dad went born-again, my friends went Pagan. Do what I did: mix and match till you find what fits you the best. I took my roots and mixed them with a bit of Buddhism. It works for me. Ultimately I don't think anyone has it right so you almost have to pick and choose because not a single one emcompasses all that we believe.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Really, any organized religion gives me the heebie-jeebies. I've always held bits and pieces from various systems, even a little of the Christianity I'm so quick to bash.

I've always held the contention that religion is the costume that spirituality wears to give it form. So my question really is, where does one begin in order to disrobe the religion(s) and peek straight into the naked spiritual creaminess?

10:15 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

To dis-robe the relgions, you just forget them and look at yourself.

Who do you think we are? Why are we? etc..

The answers to these questions can only come from inside. It'll be vague.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home