Friday, December 17, 2004

Distress Calls

After I had finished making all that racket breaking apart the shipping crates for the snow throwers, I was enjoying a briskly cold quiet morning. Aside from the tinkering noises of assembling the equipment, and the distant rhythmic boom, boom, boom from a nearby plant that stamps out chassis for Honda, there was little noise except for a surprisingly musical choir of starlings who had settled on a street light.

As I was enjoying the calls, somebody's car alarm started to go off. You know, that really annoying one that cycles through the 4 or 5 different alarm sounds. "Turn off that fucking car.", I muttered to myself... then I realized it was the birds imitating a car alarm.

3 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

Oh God, it's started. Now even the wildlife is trying to sound artificial...

Bird song is a delight to hear, car alarms are evil.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

I once read that birds in New York's Central Park have started imitating cell phone rings. I get this mental image of a bunch of people on a path all grasping for their phones when some bird starts chirping a cell phone ringtone. :-)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

LOL, as long as they don't try imitating all the lame chart hits that people get for their phones. I'm quite positive that if I heard a bird doing a "lift-music" version of Eminem, I could become very depressed. ;)

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home