Monday, January 03, 2005

In with the new

I've been thinking about New Year's Resolutions, as have (I am sure) most others. Personally, I stopped making resolutions back in high school. For the shiny and new year of 1996, I resolved to write a symphony complete with four movements and not too reliant on strings. Resolutions pretty much died after that. Legitimate ones, anyway. Sure, I've resolved since then, but with all the sincerity of putting found pennies in my shoe. More of a fun silly superstitious thing than a real endeavor.

I think I'm going to make a resolution for this year. Question is, how does one arrive at a resolution that has any chance of effecting a change? It seems that peoples' resolutions only chop the emotional dandelion's head off instead of yanking it out by the root, thus encouraging the weeds to return again and again. People resolve to lose weight, but that's only a symptom. People resolve to write a book, but have yet to so much as pen a poem. People resolve to better themselves, but are too scared to address their dark side (and we've all got one). People resolve to come closer to God, hand firmly clasped with the Devil's.

Fanning the flames won't put out the fire, but what is the fuel, the base of my firey unhappiness? No, I won't resolve to go out more or to talk more to people I don't know. I won't resolve to play the guitar or write x amount of songs. I won't resolve to put my foot down and grow some testicles. I won't resolve to find spiritual creaminess, and I won't resolve to 'better myself'.

For 2005, I resolve simply to begin.
...and leave it at that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

Yes, the 'spiritual creaminess' bit is from Bruce Almighty. Sue me.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

I think I agree with you on your resolve.

If you really think you oughta change yourself, that feeling shouldn't be present on a particular day of the year, but everyday.

I never make resolutions for myself, or indeed any wishes, just for others in my nightly prayers. I have all I need, and my problems stay with me where they are safe.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Orb, your self security is boggling.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

It takes a combination of confidence, arrogance, and many years of thought and experience.

So I have a way to go on the latter two, though I do little else other than letting my mind dwell on the great issues. I spent 6 hours last night discussing the nature of family, and human upbringing with my brother's g/f last night. Now if you do that every day, for many many years. You end up with a reasonable impression of at least what you consider to be important.

Not to mention an overwhelming disappointment and sense of doom with respect to humanity.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home