Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Flashback

Maybe it was some stray scent on the breeze. Maybe it was the cool humidity. Whatever cocktail of elements came together this morning, as I was walking across the parking lot at Lowe's I was suddenly reminded of basic training early morning marches in San Antonio at Lackland Air Force Base. It was more than just a reminiscence, though. For a momentary flash, I was transported across time and distance. I was marching.

I loved marching, especially in the milky darkness of pre-dawn where the dewy chill intensified the sweet grassy scents. I miss the ticking of Sgt. Banks' boot taps. I miss the dull thud of 50 hard rubber soles on pavement and the regular sway of the silhouetted figure ahead of me. No singing, no cadence being called, no human voices, just pure metronomic rhythm in the dark. It was music, and it was strangely comforting.

3 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

Liking morning military marches? Did that stray scent on the breeze remind you of anything? Possibly non-legal? ;)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

Nothing's sexier than a man in uniform.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

*blush*

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home