Monday, January 14, 2008

I used to think that David Dye and his music program "The World Cafe" on NPR was a great way to hear new just-beneath-mainstream talent. I've come to realize after he's just another tool for the record companies, right up there with as much spontaneity as MTV and Clear Channel radio stations. There is no resource for hearing new music anymore.

---

Graduation ceremony was friday afternoon at the Dayton Convention Center. I'd been taking pictures all day and kept the camera around my neck when I went up on stage. What a nerd.





Afterward, Mom, Chuck, and I walked a drizzly windy downtown Dayton block to the Spaghetti Warehouse for dinner. They got soup since they'd eaten already, but I'd been busy all day and harldy eaten, so I devoured a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. God, I love that place.

That, and they gave me a card with $200 in it... this soon after Christmas. Even though that's not exactly a small fortune or anything, they own a small "mom 'n pop" design and print business which doesn't make a whole lotta money. I was floored.

School had also cut me a check earlier that day for the remainder of my student loan balance that they didn't use. Suddenly, in one day, my dream lens became attainable... just one paycheck away. I can brush it with my fingertips:


Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM. Just plain sexy, isn't it? Look at the sideline of any football game. You'll see this lens alongside its more telephoto cousins. There isn't a professional photojournalist without it. Sure, I could save up the extra $500 for the one with image stabilization, but that doesn't help when shooting action, and is just one more thing that can break.

---

Shutterbug... you make a valid point, and the job is perfect for people who want to pursue more of a sales/managerial career. Several people I went to school got jobs at Moto Photo and the like, thinking that they were getting photography jobs. Their stories were all the same: hands off the equipment. They felt more like babysitters than anything else. Work with sports photographer Boss Man is more like 25% photography and the rest, related post production with some sales.

But, yeah, I am being a bit of a job snob. Mea culpa.

---

Speaking of jobs... it looks like Tim Hortons will soon be in my past. A friend is moving away, and wants me to replace her at her job. She works for a company doing sales statistics. Basically, she goes to certain stores and gas stations with a scanner and audits products to see what's selling, and what's on endcap displays. No schedule... complete flexibility. Just a work list on monday that's due by friday. She's the only one I know who raves about her job rather than bitching about it like the rest of us. Talked to her boss on the phone, and he seemed really enthusiastic about hiring me.

Let's recap the perks: 1)Complete flexibility to start working more with Boss Man. He has some "irons in the fire", and more work coming my way. 2)Pays $3 per hour more than what I'm making now. 3)No more getting up at 5AM. Hence, I may actually have a social life again.

Sign me up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the kind words. I do appreciate it.

1:02 AM  
Blogger hexy chick said...

The only place to truly find new and unheardmusic is satelite radio. I had Sirius (before I had a 3 mile commute) and I heard more new things in an hour than I'd hear in 2 months on the local radio. There's a way to get it online I think. Also, another online one that plays all sorts of unheard stuff is http://www.pandora.com/ check it out.

8:44 AM  
Blogger LadyNineveh said...

woohoo congrats on graduating!!!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home