Thursday, January 17, 2008

Slices of life

The interview is tomorrow. I'm so excited that I kept cheesing and jumping up and down today at work. It's ok... the girls there are used to me acting like that by now. :-)

---

If I were king for a day, my first order of business would be to make punishable by firing squad the grievous offense of creating and airing tv commercials longer than 30 seconds. Enough with these three minute mini-infomercials every single goddamned break.

Bowflex, I'm talkin' to you.

---

I was hanging out at my usual midday hang out spot yesterday. It was a quiet day and I had my camera on hand, so I decided to pop off a few shots. There's the most gorgeous directional ambient light bouncing around in there with a rainbow of colliding color temperatures.






There's something about that last one... I don't know. I spent a few minutes staring at it in photoshop after I finished working on it. It's just got that certain oomph, for lack of a more technical explanation.
I think if I am going to enter anything into the local photo contest, it'll be that last one.

---

Drove over to Angela's house the other night. She was the passenger in a severe car wreck about a month ago, and is cooped up in her parents' rural home unable to drive. Decided I'd take her out for a bite at the Waffle House to get her out of her home and to chat about life for a bit. She's still on painkillers, so her conversation was understandably disjointed and in circles, but she said something that made so much sense. She said, "Andy, if you do end up having to move to Columbus [for the patrol job], you can't buy that camera lens. You'll need that money to move."

I thought, damn, she's right.

---

As I type this, I have just pulled my hair into a pony tail for the first time since the "big cut" last winter. It's one of those little samurai-looking pony tails that sticks up off the back of the scalp, but it's the first time I've been able to do this and hold all my hair without my bangs falling back in my face. And to think, if I get this job, I'll most likely have to cut it off again. Such is life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scribe Called Steff said...

I'm digging the shorter hair if your profile shot's a reflection of it. I'm so over longer hair on men right now. It's attractive and all... until they start shedding on everything, and then I get all cringey because I've got short hair and never shed. I hate finding other people's long hair in my place, but maybe I'm a freak.

I love the second shot and the fourth shot. The fourth shot's really nicely done. Nothin' like a diffuse glow on a haunting b+w shot.

The only fault I can say is the one chair that's turned so it looks like the chair balloons out a bit on his right. Had that been turned 90 degrees, it'd have been a perfect -- PERFECT -- shot. But... small thing. :)

Other than that, awesome mood. He looks so lonely. I love lonely photography. I think one of my friends thinks my second-last shot on this post is "saying something", IE: "I'm lonely" or something, but I don't think finding loneliness in the world and recording it means you are lonely... I think it just means you understand it.

So, I think this is the same dude rubbing his eyes in the second pic? I love that shot, too. HOWEVER... I really think it needs to be black and white, too... It's lonelier. Black and white's better for most mood shots. I also think desaturating the shit out of it might work.

The 3rd one's okay, but I don't get why he's important, you know what I mean? I think that if it was part of a "photo story" series in a magazine or news journal, then it'd be an awesome mood shot. For what it is, it's excellent composition. It's just that he's such an everyday guy and there's no context.

Good stuff, though. Makes me want to do more candid people stuff... I've sort of lost my photographic inspiration of late, I need to find it again. It's not like looking for the keys, though. :P

11:32 PM  
Blogger Scribe Called Steff said...

oh, the post/pic of mine I mentioned was this from the spring:

http://thelastditch.blogspot.com/2007/04/some-pictures-on-fraser.html

When you comin' to Van, anyhow? You're one of, like, 5 bloggers I'd like to have a beer with. Really!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Scribe Called Steff said...

Hey, the WHOLE SERIES would look awesome in B+W, now that I've looked at it again.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home