Sunday, May 25, 2008

The other night, I happened to watch a promo for the show "Hell's Kitchen". It involved this painfully unbearable man in a chef getup screaming in other chefs' faces to the point of his voice squeaking, his tirades liberally peppered beep-censored expletives.

Yeah, that's real professional. What a poser.

I don't care what his credentials are, and I'm not a chef myself, so I can't speak for members of the culinary community, or say anything as to his status. What I can say is this: if he were a photographer acting as such, I would look down upon him without a single gram of respect. I would consider him only as a shameful self-righteous panderer for attention (Everybody, look at me! Aren't I so cool??), and an utterly pathetic disgrace to the profession.



And If I were one of the idiots who thought signing up for his show would advance my culinary career, I'd end up stabbing his eyeballs with fondue forks.
---

I'm feeling a little salty tonight. Can you tell?

---

Working at Timmy Ho's, I can't help but wonder... order after order after order at the drive through, if some of these customers have any idea just how dumb they sound over the intercom. 99% of my customer base are total sweethearts, and I love them to pieces. They make my job enjoyable... but I just have to cringe when those certain special individuals come through and mispronounce our menu items: Iced Cappuccino (ice cappacheenah), Honey Cruller (french crawler), Turkey Bacon Club (turken bacon sammich), either the Ham & Swiss or the B.L.T. (I'll take one-a them ham and swiss blt's) or my favorite: the toasted beggle with sour cream.

Oh, and let's not forget the Amurrican cheese. That one is pretty rare, but no less irritating.

My favorite is when non francophones come through and order a "cwosson'h". You pronounced absolutely everything else in our midwestern Ohio drawl. Why suddenly drape such a thick French accent over 'croissant'?

---

Bah. Now I'm just being bitchy. Things aren't bad at all here. I'm just in weird headspace.

2 Comments:

Blogger LadyNineveh said...

now i love hell's kitchen,....i wonder if Chef Ramsey came to the store how would he treat the cooks there...the cooks would walk out in 2 seconds i think..lol

2:40 PM  
Blogger hexy chick said...

Ramsey is not my favorite cehf on the planet, but get off your high horse and get some education before speaking so ignorantly of the man or the situation. First off, photography is nothing like cooking. What the fuck pressure do you face with nabbing the perfect shot that even comes close to cooking orders to perfection every 20 minutes non-stop on your feet for 8+ hours? On top of that, you must create new ideas constantly to keep up with food trends and stay in the game or you're fucked. Second, you are far too thin skinned and ignorant to that culinary world to appreciate what Chef Ramsey is doing. It's the condensed version of mastering a restaurant in the course of mere weeks/months. It's training to be a marine in the culinary world. You think real marines have it easy and they don't take this shit? It's the tough love approach to "survive this and I am giving you the world" because once they get through that, IF they get through that, they are given a gift that no one really gets: a restaurant handed to them, culinary training beyond compare, and the respect of one of the worlds most phenomenal chefs. If all they have to do is get through some belittling and pressure for a few weeks to get that then hell fucking yes it is absolutely worth all of it. Just because other chefs don't show it publicly, does not mean that this is not how things are run in even the smallest of restaurant kitchens.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home