Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Andy joins the bespectacled masses



It's funny, but the biggest thing to strike me was on the first night that I had them. I pulled up in front of my house and out of habit looked up at the stars. I was shocked how small they were. This sounds dumb, I know, but the stars were just tiny little pin points! They've always been smudges. Last Tuesday night was the first time in my life that I've ever actually seen them.

---

Shot a Nigerian Christening last Saturday. Long story short: Brilliantly colorful head dresses and gowns. I had no idea that Dayton had a Nigerian community, but come to find out it's not only quite sizable, but also considerably wealthy. Anyway, at the reception, the emcee introduced the children, but as is tradition, they aren't marched in, they are danced in. To a traditional reggae-like tune the procession led by the parents entered, dancing in a circle around the floor. It was the perfect mix of touching and fun. It was so cool, I smiled like a cheeseball the whole time I was shooting. Just had to tell you about that.



I got to talking with the videographer, a guy named Cyril with an accent as thick as peanut butter. At the end of the evening, I told him that he was lucky. He asked why, and I said "Because Nigerian women are stunning!" He laughed, nodding in agreement.

I also had some of the traditional food. I had no idea what I was eating, but it was as hot as Tabasco and very tasty. Some sort of stew. From the (unidentifiable) look of it, I probably don't want to know what I was eating... all I know is that it was delicious, and I'm not dead. I'll leave it at that.

---

Also photographed earlier that day a young girl for a flyer for the Dayton Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.



---

If every weekend could be as productive as last, I could quit Timmy Ho's in a heartbeat. $480 in one day, man. Well, ok, a heart beat and a two week notice. I like my boss too much for that. I've never talked about him, have I? Not a major enough figure in the cast of characters in my life to garner a 'Treasures' shout-out, I guess. Anyhoo, coolest boss I have ever had (and most likely will ever have) in my entire life. Photography Bossman is a very close second.

So, there. He has been shouted to.

2 Comments:

Blogger LadyNineveh said...

ok the glasses look awesome!!!

2:41 PM  
Blogger divacowgirl said...

Nice specs!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home