Friday, December 17, 2004

Karma Chameleon

I hate how I act differently around different people. Who am I trying to impress? I'm so goddamn jealous of people who can maintain the same outward appearance regardless of what situation they're in. We all know somebody like that... maybe you're one of those people. How do you do it?

A few weeks ago I saw "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers". There is a line that Geoffrey Rush gives about how he has no real personality of his own, only that of the characters he plays. I feel like I've got a seperate role for each person I deal with. Who I am to my wife is nothing like who I am to Jen (the girl who asked me to the party), or when I'm around my dad, or who I am in this blog.

Damn you, Evanescence. I love your CD, but it's guaranteed to crush any trace of a good mood I might've been in. I need a cookie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

[No comment can be too long.]

Not sure if I'm jealous of the people that can do that, honesty is absolutely required. But the personality you put out need not be false, just because it varies from person to person a little bit. Different people require different things from you, thus naturally they receive variations on a theme.

To me, it only becomes a problem if someone is *really* variable between groups.

If I had to maintain the exact same personality with all my friendship groups, I'd be unpopular with most of them, regardless of what that personality was. To mingle one must fit in some respect.

Think of it as a keychain with various keys, same chain, different lock.

Perhaps the saying shouldn't be "Be yourself" but "Be part of yourself"...

I find evanescence reasonably uplifting, maybe my base-level for my music is lower, LOL ;)

That Peter Sellers biography film was good, Rush did a great job on that.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

I love that CD, and never seem to get sick of listening to it again and again, but damn! Sometimes I just want to grab Amy Lee by the shoulders and shout, "Cheer the fuck up! It's not that bad!!"

9:54 AM  
Blogger Grover said...

Oh, and thanks for your guys' words of support. I've been in a slump lately. I feel better thanks to you.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

LOL, one of my friends quite likes them at the moment, and had the lyrics to "Bring Me To Life" typed out on her computer. Her mum saw them, and asked her if she was thinking about killing herself.... (she has had a hard time lately, just had a kid, split with husband, etc..) - but still! She just liked the song. ;)

Tomorrow always brings another day.

Oh, and anytime. :)

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home