Friday, January 07, 2005

I ran across this yesterday day in a book. I just finished deleting three paragraphs I wrote about why and the many levels upon which I am drawn to this. Sparing you the lecture, I leave you to form your own impressions. "may i feel said he" by e. e. cummings:


may i feel said he
(i'll squeal said she
just once said he)
it's fun said she

(may i touch said he
how much said she
a lot said he)
why not said she

(let's go said he
not too far said she
what's too far said he
where you are said she)

may i stay said he
(which way said she
like this said he
if you kiss said she

may i move said he
is it love said she)
if you're willing said he
(but you're killing said she

but it's life said he
but your wife said she
now said he)
ow said she

(tiptop said he
don't stop said she
oh no said he)
go slow said she

(cccome?said he
ummm said she)
you're divine!said he
(you are Mine said she)

7 Comments:

Blogger Grover said...

That last line is so ominous.

10:13 AM  
Blogger bounce said...

you're right, it's terribly ominous.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Especially with the capital M, divine ownership.

Reading that makes me feel lacking.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Especially since e. e. cummings never capitalizes anything, 'Mine' must bear supreme importance. My interpretation of that line is, "Now I have you by the balls, motherfucker." Crude, yes, but cummings was at no loss for crudeness throughout his library. I merely pay tribute.

At first this poem struck me as a wicked mischevious romp, and then over several re-readings, I came to realize that it's a cautionary tale about having extramarital sex with manipulative women. He must've been burnt at one point or another to've written this.

Still, I couldn't help but feel a little envy stirring when I read it.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Can't say it was envy I felt.

Not a fan of the squelchy weirdness myself, far too embarrasing.

But the opportunity for love wouldn't go amiss!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

envy? jealous that he's having an affair? or wish you were him having great sex with a woman who has him by the balls?

9:34 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Stripping away the details, ignoring he's married, ignoring that she has the power to make his life hell, I'm envious simply of the blind passionate explosion of the moment.

No, I'm not out there chasing skirts. Here at work I've befriended several female coworkers, but that's mostly because I'm the only guy who doesn't flirt with or hit on them.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home