Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Have I talked about the 4x5 view camera that I've been lusting after since this summer? A local camera store had it for sale for a truly ridiculous low price, but I never could come up with the spare $150. Well, I just happened to unearth it in a neatly wrapped package the other morning. I now have a bona-fide, honest-to-goodness piece of professional equipment. Oh, the things I'm gonna do with it...

Speaking of, for a while now I've been thinking of something. Remember that blue solar paper that you had in science class as a kid, and you'd lay keys or leaves on and set it in the sunlight for a few minutes? Well, I've been wondering if that stuff couldn't somehow be used to capture an actual image, but never could figure out exactly how. So I picked some up.

At first, I used a piece and did the usual thing with it, laying a negative strip from the Holga on it, as well as some of my (now defunct *sniff*) pony tail bands and exposing it with a floodlamp. Here's what I got:



1000 bonus points to any Dayton-area folks who can identify what and where the top right frame is located. :-) Anyway, encouraged by this, I actually used my view camera this morning and did a 1-hour exposure of a tree in my back yard. Surprisingly enough, it took a negative image!



Admittedly, this is photoshopped a little to bring out the contrast. But this shows that if I can keep up an exposure for, say, 4 or more hours, I think some hauntingly surreal images can be created. Tomorrow I set the camera up in my room and leave the shutter open all day...

---

Ok, so I'm a little bummed that Santa denied my request for a girlfriend, but I think the view camera will do as a suitable substitution. Santa's still my homeboy.
Spoken like a true shutterdork.

---

Chickpea is in Ohio right now visiting family, and we'd made plans to meet tomorrow. Unfortunately, our house phone died the afternoon of Christmas Eve, and just started working this afternoon. So I called her, and given the inability to make contact, she'd made plans. BUT! There's always the open invitation to visit her new place, the only thing needed is gas money. This could work, since Lee usually keeps me busy only on the weekends. And I have an internet sales check coming soon.

---

The "lateral drift" lull in my photography? It's dissipating like fog in the late morning sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home