Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The devil went down to Georgia, he was lookin for a soul to steal.

So I hear about this super-bacteria that's antibiotic-resistant, and has tragically killed a high school student and infected another. I turn on the Fox News channel and catch the story, and then another "Fox News Alert!" pops up concerning the impending Congressional vote to restrict illegal wiretapping.

The camera cuts from the bespectacled black-suited anchor to this gigantic cartoon character of a man with more white facial hair than Santa Claus. He's wearing a ten-gallon hat of laughable size that looks like it's made of foam and belongs more on the head of some Texas football mascot than a real human being. This guy is then interviewed by the anchor with questions concerning the role of wiretapping in national security, and the inevitable consequences of limiting it. The cartoon guy begins regurgitating all the same clichés that every other conservative mouthpiece drivels. The anchor listens with intense concern, and the occasional "So what you're saying is...", only to repeat exactly what the cartoon guy said.

The homeland security expert is country music star Charlie Daniels.



How does he have the authority to deliver an informed opinion, or even have a jack shit clue about the intelligence concerning the condition of our national security? WHAT THE FUCK??

I thought it was a joke at first, like maybe they were riffing on the Colbert Report or something.

I mean, honestly... why Charlie Daniels? Why not Michael Jackson or Vanilla Ice or Gary Coleman or the "O face" guy from the movie Office Space? I'd say they're all about equally as qualified to be on a national cable news network discussing the ramifications of congressional legislation on homeland security vulnerability.

You'll notice I'm not weighing in an opinion on the matter of wiretapping... because I don't have a jack shit clue about what's really going on out there. For all we know, there may have been a dozen more 9/11 attacks foiled because of it... or perhaps the administration is abusing it to spy on political enemies. Seems plausible now that election races are heating up.

Either way, nobody really knows. I'm just calling bullshit on the people who think they do.

---

"Devil Went Down to Georgia" is a piece of pure musical ass-kickery for sure. I'll never question that.

---

Did some headshots for an aspiring model yesterday. Liz (who specializes in fashion/glamour photography) said they were excellent, and I dearly wish I could show you, but he's 17 and I don't have a model release.

So after the model shoot, I got stopped by a shop owner whom I'd met when I was shooting Heather, and we got to talking. He gave me a piece of his wife's hand-made pottery and I told him I'd deliver some sample shots the next day. So I set up a table-top makeshift commercial studio in the garage and emailed him these this afternoon:




---


[Andy] said, Devil just come on back
If you ever wanna try again
I done told you once you son of a bitch
I'm the best there's ever been


Oh yeah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home