Saturday, March 15, 2008

I've been thinking about money lately... more specifically, my lack thereof.

I was at M's the other day having a beer, and CNBC was up on the big TV. Amid the randomly jagged charts and stock tickers, there was a promo for the station. It was the lady who founded Baby Einstein, and she was talking about how she had a simple idea, and used CNBC to research whether it was already being done or not, and made a fortune. Then, tonight, I'm watching a show on the history of Google, and all it took was one simple idea to launch Google into billions in profitability, which was to tailor sidebar ads by search keywords rather than displaying random and irrelevant ads.

One thing occurred to me: There's an exotic and incomprehensible volume of money out there, and all it takes is the simplest forehead-thumping idea to tap into it. So I'm thinking... what type of stuff can I do with my camera that nobody else has thought to do? What service(s) can I provide that nobody else does, and convince people that it's something essential that they need?

Hmmmmmmm.....

---

Since we're on the topic of money, you know how they're phasing out analog broadcast TV next year to free airwave bandwidth for wireless devices? Well, I remember reading computer magazines back in 2001 that talked about Taiwan, and how they had wireless devices so inexpensive as to be nearly disposable, yet they had fantastic capabilities like realtime videoconferencing, and on-demand tv and movies. They made our latest cutting-edge devices here in the US look like prehistoric bricks. It's all because their government opened up a wide range of the radio spectrum for their devices to operate within, while to this day our FCC only allots a thin sliver.

Well.. I'm thinking that's about to change with this digitizing of broadcast TV. The US is finally joining the 21st century and catching up to the rest of the modern world. Given the nature of devices existing abroad even at the onset of this decade, you can see the void that will need to be filled over here.

My point: there's going to be a spectacular boom in wireless devices starting in the next few years. Now's the time to invest in the companies that manufacture/mine the raw materials that go into the manufacture of wireless devices, like nickel and lithium for the batteries, gold for the contacts, and other minerals for the transmitter components.

Not like I really know what I'm talking about. I'm not a money person. I'm just drawing parallels, you know?

---

Speaking of how behind the US is, my mom worked for Time-Warner cable when I was a kid. She had a British co-worker who said that they had HDTV in England back in the late 80's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home