Wednesday, April 27, 2005

An Errand

This morning, I was waiting at a local salon for her haircut to finish, and I was asking the front desk lady how to tame my frizzy mane. Part of the stylist's advice was to use shampoo that said either "hydrating" or "smoothing". Flash forward to tonight. I was sent on a mission to Kroger to pick up some corn on the cob and tater tots. Armed with $15 in pocket, and remembering what the stylist told me, I decided to make a side trip over to the shampoo aisle to peruse the selection. Sure enough, I find a $2 bottle of Suave Humectant. Then something strange happened... I picked it up and put it in the basket.

Do you realize the gravity of this gesture??

I made a nonpreinstructed purchase which benefits me. Only me. Not an 'us' purchase. Not a household purchase. Andy, with no external direction or authorization to do so, shopped for himself.

Fuck, that felt good!

7 Comments:

Blogger Orbling said...

LOL, and so the indulgence begins... ;)

Hope it wasn't tested on animals!

But yes, you should master the art of shopping for yourself, dead handy, but also fairly dangerous, expect financial discomfort.

[WTH is a tater tot?]

8:10 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

I'm a pretty thrifty shopper (as well as a cheap date), so I'm looking forward to my first visit to the grocery as a single adult. It was just so nice to make my own on-the-spot decision like that. It made me feel all grown-up. :-)

Tater Tots are a staple of the American diet, nigh a food group unto themselves. They are made of shredded potatoes formed into cylinders roughly an inch long and 3/4 inch diameter. They are then fried, frozen, and packaged in bags sold in the freezer aisle. They are perfectly dipping- and bite-sized and dangerously delicious. :-)

8:48 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

Thrift will serve you well if you keep it oiled. Can be a life saver.

Hmm, I'm sure we have plenty of things similar to those here. There are billions of frozen potato 'things', those sound like something I'd call potato crunchies - though that's more diced potato than shredded. Rostis have shredded potato, but also onion... Hmm.

Think most people here would have chips (large fat fries, not your chips which we call crisps) instead for most meals. Personally I tend to have rice/pasta/bread more than potatoes for starchy food. :)

10:41 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Yeah, our french fries tend to be long and skinny. But we do have "steak fries" which closely resemble your chips.

(and O'Brian's here in Troy uses the chips/crisps terminology. And their boxties with mushroom gravy are to die for.)

2:23 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

LOL, well if I'm going to have chips, then I usually get "steak chips", which are fat chips - or very fat fries. LOL - Technically they are healthier (not that I'd care about that), as they have less surface area per potato, so less fat - I just reckon they're nicer that way. Especially with gravy. :)

Ah food, the main area where our languages are utterly different.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

I still don't want to know what spotted dick is. :-)

11:12 PM  
Blogger Orbling said...

LOL, a rather nasty complaint...

Something you'd never get with the alternative interpretation, an alternative name for plum duff - essentially a sponge (or suet sponge) with raisins dessert, usually steamed, but sometimes baked. Very very nice it is too, especially with custard. :)

It's when someone asks if you'd like a Hob Nob to dip in your tea that you've got to check your shoe laces... ;)

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home