Friday, November 18, 2005

The water was shut off yesterday, so after taking Caro and her man Scott to the airport to pick up their rental car, they went down to Viv's to shower and spend the night. I headed home. My real home. Mom's. I asked (for manners' sake) if I could stay there that night, and said I had a few errands to run. So with what little of my paycheck was left, I went out. Driving away, I kept repeating in my head the line from Delerium's song Firefly:
"There's a requiem, a new congregation. And it's telling me go forward and walk under a brighter sky, every nerve glowing like a firefly."


One full tank of gas later, I headed over to Dollar General. Uber-redneck in there, but their generic products are so damn cheap. Picked up some bathroom cleaning and laundry supplies. Mom said I could use hers, but I want to impose as little as possible. Headed over to Meijer for the pack of pictures (that sunset I mentioned a week or so ago), and I'm super pleased with the quality of their processing, as well as Fuji 100 speed. God, you guys have to see these. I'll do what I can, the computer gets moved after work and I'll be back online late this evening. I pick up some mouthwash and toothpaste.

Leaving, I realize I don't have a hairbrush or trashcan, so I head over to Wal-Mart. I've got pictures there, forgot to pick them up, so I meander about trying to think of things I need. I pick out a big tacky clear neon green hairbrush and a wastebasket that's on clearance for $2. After perusing injet photo cartridge and picture frame prices, I get a can of chunky soup for dinner.

All along, I notice how much brighter and saturated the colors in the stores are. The smells are so intense, and sounds echo in my ears like never before. I see all the other shoppers, every last one of them busily and hurriedly going about their tasks, oblivious to the sheer beauty and joy of these stores. I pity them for missing it.

At home, I take a shower and inflate mom's camping air mattress in my room. I slide open the casement window and look out to Michelle and Daniel's back yard behind the house across the street. I'll have to hang out with them soon.

Laying down in the dark, I reacquaint myself with sights unseen for ages... the way the street light casts a glare in the back corner by the closet, the way passing cars' headlights slide from wall to wall before disappearing. I miss the guitar chords and Doors posters that were taken down ages ago, but I would otherwise be looking up at. I forgot how the baseboard heater smells like it's burning, and its familiar tink tink tink tink sound. I take a deep breath and close my eyes with my hands behind my head. My right elbow seeks out the feel of the edge of the mattress.

I realize... I've laid down on "my side" of the bed. It just feels right. With a grin, I fall asleep.

8 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That was so evocative, I felt as though I were there. You are a poet.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

Ah childhood memories. They are the best!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Grover said...

Barbara - The emotions were so intense, I guess the words just followed suit. Thanks for the compliment!

Nan - Especially when you get to re-live them. It's like two worlds intersecting.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its soooo cool to think you within walking distance...yes..we HAVE to hang out soon!

Misha

9:00 PM  
Blogger Texas Gurl said...

I'm glad you finally got moved in and are adjusting well to your new 'old' home.
I try to sometimes slow down and really look at places I go all the time, for instance Walmart or Target, to really stop and look at it as though it was the first time being there.
But what's even more interesting than that is people watching...one of my favorite past times. Screw going to the zoo to gawk at animals, I'd rather park myself on a bench at a mall and observe the good ol homosapiens.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Grover said...

Michelle (aka Misha, aka Mitchel, aka Daniel's better half) - Walked over the other night, but nobody was home. :-(

TG - People like you and I are rare. So few people stop and make an effort to try to perceive and appreciate the world around them, rather than just sense it and move on.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe!! what night and what time..i was probably at work :(

11:41 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

It was late sunday afternoon. I called and nobody answered, but I thought I'd take a stroll anyway.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home