Sunday, May 21, 2006

date n., An engagement to go out socially with another person, often out of romantic interest.


So I guess technically I went out on a date tonight. Since the operative word in the definition is 'often' instead of 'entirely', my having taken Hippie Girl to the theater would qualify. Ok, so there was romantic interest on my part, but I took great pains to conceal it as much as possible as I asked her simply as a friend. If anything, I think she was relieved not to have me slobbering all over her like so many other guys have been doing so lately... but that's not my laundry to air. So we meet up in the Waffle House parking lot and head out in my car down to Victoria Theatre in Dayton, chatting the whole way.

The play was so-so, and I really wanted to initiate her into the cult of Chipotle afterward, but they closed by the time the play let out. We're cruising back up I-75 when White Castle somehow makes its way into the conversation, and I immediately beeline over to the Huber Heights location. A trayful of those weird square cheesy bites of heaven later, and we're back on the road to Troy. She suggests getting a drink somewhere, which I'd of course much rather do than drop her off for the night, but Troy being in the Bible Belt, every bar is closed tonight, as are most alcohol-serving restaurants by 11pm. BW3's closes at 12, so we pop by for a tall glass of Bud Light and continued conversation. I drop her off at her car and we part with a firm handshake, but not before I ask if she wants to go out with me again sometime. She says yes, she had a good time tonight.

I'm not going to read anything more into that than strictly what she said. We talked at great length about relationships, and she's 100% enjoying her singleness right now, so I'm not going to put any pressure whatsoever in that direction. But I can't help but build a little bit of hope for the future, as it seems all the other guys whom I previously considered "competition" are actually pissing her off by coming on way too strong in their various ways.

Men often give advice to me of "strategy", "plans", and "tactics" when it comes to dealing with women, which always rubs me the wrong way. (what are we, tank commanders?) This is the first time that I feel the best "strategy" is no strategy at all... simply drop any fronts and be purely Andy, patient and caring.

Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home