Saturday, September 23, 2006

So I have a weird night at work, with a chatty old guy asking me directions to Chipotle in the middle of the Friday night dinner rush and while I'm on cash, and the line of burritos is piling up to the rest of the front line's annoyance. Then, an obviously drunk carful of guys keeps calling again and again needing directions, and when they finally get there, they end up being a bunch of OU guys on a road trip. I quickly relay that I was just there last weekend, and recommend the spaghetti and meatballs at the Coffee Cup.

Anyway, I bring a few burritos to the bartender at L&V, and she gives me free beer. It's a good setup. After about an hour, Ruben shows up, and shortly after a friend of his. Long story short, we walk over to the Brewery, and I was going to go to the Waffle House with him afterward, but the Brewery is a busy place and we got separated. I only felt a mild buzz if anything at all, and could've driven home perfectly, but I know my B.A.C. was probably just over the limit. With a headlight out, I knew I was easy pickins for bored smalltown police no matter how well I might drive, so I erred on the side of paranoia and walked home.

I was in kind of a pissy mood all night. You know, that kind of momentary self-doubt where you have every reason to be on cloud 9, but the only clouds for some unknown reason are the dark ones floating above your head? Well, the weather is rather pleasant tonight. It's a touch humid, but it's breezy and the temperature is in that lower-70's butter zone. I figured a walk would do me good to clear the head a little.

It's a few miles to my house, but it goes by quickly. On Stonyridge, the main street in my neighborhood, it begins to rain. But instead of grumbling, I turn my face to the sky. It's a warm comfortable shower, and instead of feeling, well, rained on, I feel cleansed of my ghosts.

I feel anointed by the heavens, and I feel purified. But above all, I feel forgiven. Maybe I'm just being dramatic (as I so often am), but I feel changed a little. Like something out there heard me and said "It's ok. Everything's going to be ok."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home