Monday, February 26, 2007

Miss me? Sure you did.

This whole "having a day job" thing has really fubar'ed my sleep schedule, so that I have to be asleep by 11 at the very latest, when before I used to stay up till 2 or 3 in the am. So my online time has gone nearly nil. Basically enough time to log on, check my email, and go crash.

But today, I've set aside a special block of time. Just for you, 'cause frankly I miss talking to you too.

So here's the past week:
1)Started at Tim H's. The job is fun and the people I work with are cool. The customers are cool as hell, and largely an older and devoutly loyal fanbase, so they come in happy to be there, not all in a hurry and pissed off like the burger joint crowd. Most importantly, the manager is uber cool. There's nothing worse than a dickhead boss, and I hit the jackpot this time. (BTW, he's Canadian. Just reinforcing my fascination with the place.)

But, most importantly, the uniform is by far the snazziest of anywhere I've worked. Nice dress shirt and slacks. "They come a-runnin just as fast as they can, 'cause every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!"

---

Last week we woke up to freezing fog that was thicker than peanut butter, so after work, I grabbed my camera and headed down to the river for pictures of the Adams St. Bridge. I think frozen fog is called hoarfrost? Anyway, it's the strangest looking stuff. Snapped a bunch of pictures, and here are my two favs, one each of the fog and weird frost:





---

Then, this weekend I spent at the Southwestern Historic District Annual Men's Weekend. In other words, it's where all the men from the neighborhood I grew up in get together, rent a cabin on the lake at a nearby state park, and spend the weekend acting like frat boys. Dad paid my way this year. Got to spend a lot of quality time with dad, as well as hang out with two very locally influential and important photographers. The lake was frozen over, and the sunrise reflecting off of its surface was amazing. The last night there it rained, and the water puddled up on the ice, creating this dazzling mixed surface to reflect the second morning's sunrise. But most importantly, it's not often that I get to chill out by a campfire with my Dad.

Sunrise Saturday morning.


Sunrise Saturday morning.


Sunrise Sunday morning after it had rained.


The cabin from the dock on the lake.


Dad making a very characteristic gesture when he's engrossed in lively conversation.


Dad by the fire.


Dad by the fire.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's North Dakota here. My computer showed that you hadn't updated your blog since Aug. of last year and then I check on a different computer and I had a lot to catch up on. I just love your photographs and sense of humor. And just to let you know, us girls feel lonely and crave the same things you do, too bad we don't live in the same town, we could go out some time. Take care.

11:26 PM  
Blogger LadyNineveh said...

hey hey drew :)

you dad is looking good..(since the last time i saw him) what has he been doing with himself??

and of course the new pics look awesome!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now THOSE are some damn good photos.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Grover said...

Nan - Yes, it was awesome on so many levels.

Erica - I wondered where you went. I check my sitemeter every once in a blue moon, and it always gave me a lift to see nodak.edu on it. I always knew that somewhere, somebody was getting what I was saying, and hopefully feeling a little less alone because of it. Yeah, it's a shame we're so far apart. Thank you for your loyalty.

Mitchel - Dad's been up to the same ol' same ol' architecture. He's living in Urbana now.

Shutterbug - I appreciate the compliment, especially coming from you. When are we going to be graced with more from you?

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly: I love that picture of your dad in mid-story.

Secondly: Friend! How are you? It's 2am and according to your post, you've been asleep for three hours. I'm not sleeping. I'm listening to the Taraf's and drinking 7up. I remember that 7up video game. That thing was so much fun. Was it for the Sega? I think so. I miss that game. Anyhoo. I actually posted in my blog. Yet again, I forgot about it. Oh well. I never forgot about you. You're too splendid to forget. I just couldn't remember my user name.

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I heal and get my energy back. Or whenever I post my damn photos from the Smithsonian day trip. Whichever comes first.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home